SASS Wire Forum

Fair Weather Cowboy

Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663

Heee Haaa .. I'm with doots with this one.. :blush: Right now we got two feet of snow and its about 14 degrees,, :unsure: at my house.. I'm getting ready to go to Rockford to the town of Liberty to Shoot, :lol: Heee Haaa..I'm 64 in a few months, but I live in Michigan and it snows here..If Kethhum,Duece,and the Rockford gang puts a match on Durning a Blizzard I'll be there.. :D

Heee Haaa Crazy (who loves to shoot)Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

Like many of you, I dislike the cold more than the hot. I can endure being hot or wet, but when my hands or feet get cold and start hurting, I turn into a real crybaby.

I've got a saying, "Hot weather can be uncomfortable. Cold weather can hurt."

I don't do rain, but I'll try most other conditions. I used to weigh 300 lbs. but I joined a gym as well as Weight Watchers and dropped down to between 165 and 170. I found that it makes a big difference in my tolerance for conditions (except that I get cold sooner). Going to the gym three to four days a week also keeps me limber and able to hold the guns up for extended periods (not to mention standing for extended periods).

I'm retired, so this might not work for some folks. As I got older, I decided I wanted to live longer so I switched to more fish and chicken, salads, and low-fat diet. The side benefit was that I was able to handle a six-stage match without too much stress. I'm either a range officer in training or a loading table guy, so I'm always standing. ;-) I'll never be a top shooter because I'm having too much fun to go that fast, but the gym allows me to survive and have a good time regardless of conditions.

--Ranger Dave

Howdy Ranger Dave: You are so correct on going to the gym. I happen to work part time at a local gym and also work out (on company time) and along with my daily swim am still going strong at 81. EVERYTHING WORKS. Still make every shoot available locally and do my own bullet casting. Keep up the good work. Only problem I see is you live in NJ. I hate to admit I was born there but left when I was 17 and never went back. Love TN, been here most of my life.

Deadwood Miner

Ya bunch of jackwagons. Tissue? ;)

It isn't cold until this happens.

Guy who drew that must be from a warm climate. :ph34r: -11 ain't even close to FYAO. :excl: Wimps! :lol::rolleyes:;)

It's never too hot to shoot, but it can sure be too cold.

See one of my signature lines...it's from my grandpa and he was right.

I've shot in 35 degree weather (c o l d for a 5th Gen Californian), shot in 111 degree sun: no problem. Dislike shooting in the rain, probably won't out of respect for the hardware. However, I friggin' HATE shooting in blowing dust and grit! No good for us, no good for the hardware.

Hear me Just George? You and yer Ridgecrest action jobs!

Confessions of a sugar-coated cowboy....

I hate shooting in the rain. I've shot in 120 degree heat and teen-ish degree cold and everything in between, but nothing turns my smile upside down faster than shooting in the rain. I've gotten to a point in life where I don't feel the need to prove my manhood by toughing it out in a rain storm. So, if it's wet, I'm at home. SImple as that.

I do not mind the snow and cold temps so much we held the match at our club yesterday and it was 9 degrees when I pulled in and started getting things set up. We had 19 brave Cowboys show up and I think that is a great turn out for the temp. On the other hand, I become a nancy boy when it comes to rain. I really don't like dealing with the rain, I don't like getting my guns wet, I don't like getting my leather wet, I don't like getting my cart wet and mostly I don't like getting wet. I take my showers with the clothes off not on!

Ketchum Quick

Work doesn't allow me to shoot nearly as often as I would like to. Heat or cold don't keep me from shooting. I absolutely HATE to shoot in the rain. I have done it and I won't leave once I get there, however if it is raining, or there is a big chance for rain, then I mostly don't go.

Howdy Ranger Dave: You are so correct on going to the gym. I happen to work part time at a local gym and also work out (on company time) and along with my daily swim am still going strong at 81. EVERYTHING WORKS. Still make every shoot available locally and do my own bullet casting. Keep up the good work. Only problem I see is you live in NJ. I hate to admit I was born there but left when I was 17 and never went back. Love TN, been here most of my life.

Deadwood Miner

Deadwood, do you know if Wartrace shot a match Saturday, 5 Feb 10? Randy St Eagle sent an e-mail to all the members that the match was on, but I don't see any scores. I suspect due to the cold and wind that the match was cancelled. I know it was too cold for this fair weather cowboy.

Deadwood, do you know if Wartrace shot a match Saturday, 5 Feb 10? Randy St Eagle sent an e-mail to all the members that the match was on, but I don't see any scores. I suspect due to the cold and wind that the match was cancelled. I know it was too cold for this fair weather cowboy.

Howdy Birdgun Quail: Well, just got e-mail from Randy. I recon you did also. Scores not yet posted for the 11 shooters. He referred to his blog for a report etc. Little Jake was first and Papa Dave second. This afternoon I prepared the gun cart for wild bunch on the 15th. Hopefully, the weatherman will cooperate. Stay warm and dry.

Deadwood Miner

Howdy Birdgun Quail: Well, just got e-mail from Randy. I recon you did also. Scores not yet posted for the 11 shooters. He referred to his blog for a report etc. Little Jake was first and Papa Dave second. This afternoon I prepared the gun cart for wild bunch on the 15th. Hopefully, the weatherman will cooperate. Stay warm and dry.

Deadwood Miner

Deadwood, thanks. I saw Randy's blog also. Good Grief! 29F at 12:30 p.m. with 15-25 mph winds. Those are 11 hearty cowboys!

I left Huntsville, Al one morning for War Trace, it was 53 and partly sunny, with the promise of a nice day. Got to War trace and the temp dropped. cold drizzle and breezy.

The shooting was still fun. but standing at the loading table in the breezy drizzle was NOT fun.

handles on my R Bisleys are smooth and get very slick when rained on.

prefer 50 + to 85?

Mad G

SFC Army (ret)

NRA life

Nar member

P.S. Spent many a year in the army soaked, cold and miserable.

Archived