SASS Wire Forum

Leather to Wood

JOHNACM

Howdy

Kind of depends on what you want to do. The problem with contact cement is it is unforgiving when you place it. Once it has dried to a tacky state on both surfaces you bring the two parts together. There is no moving it to adjust positioning after that, you have to get it right the first time. If you cut the leather a little bit oversize, that is fine, you can trim the leather to size after the glue dries.

If you want a little bit more forgiveness, you can use regular Elmer's white glue. It will allow you to slide the leather around to exactly where you want it, but then you must clamp the parts together until the glue dries. Elmer's is not waterproof, if the parts will spend some time outdoors you can do the same with any carpenter's yellow glue.

+1 on Barge's contact cement. It kicks all other contact cements to the curb.

If you can't find Barge 3M 77 super cement is ok it is a spray so it's a little messy.

Not as strong as barge.

Wif :FlagAm:

Barge has become somewhat a go to glue for many leather workers and I have a few holsters out that have had sheet metal liners bonded between leather layers with barge. So far none have turned loose to my knowledge. Gorilla glue has also been working pretty good for me in the non leather projects. I consider Tanners Bond to be an excellent glue but have not tried it for non leather projects. I do fear that the government is mandating that all future glues must now be edible for infants so figure on going to rubber bands in the near future.

Howdy

Kind of depends on what you want to do. The problem with contact cement is it is unforgiving when you place it. Once it has dried to a tacky state on both surfaces you bring the two parts together. There is no moving it to adjust positioning after that, you have to get it right the first time. If you cut the leather a little bit oversize, that is fine, you can trim the leather to size after the glue dries.

If you want a little bit more forgiveness, you can use regular Elmer's white glue. It will allow you to slide the leather around to exactly where you want it, but then you must clamp the parts together until the glue dries. Elmer's is not waterproof, if the parts will spend some time outdoors you can do the same with any carpenter's yellow glue.

Yup!

Archived