SASS Wire Forum

US Army, WTF moment

XXX?

:blink:

Well, I do have to thank him for signing up in the first place.

Even if he is a bit touchy about needles!!

:FlagAm:

~EE Taft~

XXX?

^_^

Well, I do have to thank him for signing up in the first place.

Even if he is a bit touchy about needles!!

:FlagAm:

~EE Taft~

Ditto that..

GG ~ :blink:

Now THAT one pi$$es me off. As a medic, I have trained I don't know how many soldiers to start IVs, but the number has to be in the hundreds. Many of those were trained by offering up my own arms as targets.

Those guys were doing everything wrong that I can think of. About the only thing they were doing right was having absorbent pads for bio-waste and using gloves.

When in a training environment, you don't have a bunch of people standing around watching, talking, critiquing and generally distracting the soldier performing the stick.

The soldier performing the stick should have an instructor standing next to him, closely observing. The soldier should already be well versed in what he is to do, and either practicing on an artificial arm prior or at a minimum talking his way through the process and preferably demonstrating (with a capped catheter) prior to the stick.

Once the constricting band is on, there should be no messing around. It should be on as short a time as possible.

The soldier performing the stick should maintain positive control of the catheter set the entire time, not letting it go until dropping it into a sharps container.

At the first sign the soldier was going to have problems, the process should have been discontinued.

When it appeared he might start having seizure activity, he should have immediately been placed flat on his back and tables and chairs moved away.

I'm glad I wasn't the NCOIC of that event.

I think the long build up had something to do with it.

Yes it did, no question. All of the time, the conversation and everything else allowed the soldier's anxiety level to increase. His body language is very clear in that regard.

Y'all wouldn't believe some stories I could tell about my running the medical wing of several POMs (preparation for overseas movement). God save the Queen. :blink:

Oh yes I would. :FlagAm:

Looks like the soldier had a vesa-vagel (sp?) reation. Been there, done that. No fun either.

Cash

Do you mean a vasovagal reaction? That is my guess.

I have been stabbed, hit by fragments, broken bones, ripped my skin all to hell, survived artillery attacks and helicopters rides in Injun country, rode convoys in II Corps South, and been cut by any number of things. I'll face gunfire, knives, clubs, runaway horses, and angry women. I have raced sports cars, been a downhill skier and competition swimmer, jumped out of airplanes, and rode saddle broncs.

I can paint a barn with blood as long as it isn't mine, and I still get faint around needles.

Wanna make something of it?

WELL, DO YA, PUNK? :FlagAm:

I remember we had an officer's shindig one evening at Ft. Riley, and a medical officer came to the party and "mooned" the Colonel with the fake butt that was used by the medics to practice giving intra-muscular buttock injections. It was FUN-NEE, but he earned an on-the-spot verbal reprimand anyway...then the Colonel proposed a toast to him!

As for being a "practice dummy," I managed to avoid it.

I have been stabbed, hit by fragments, broken bones, ripped my skin all to hell, survived artillery attacks and helicopters rides in Injun country, rode convoys in II Corps South, and been cut by any number of things. I'll face gunfire, knives, clubs, runaway horses, and angry women. I have raced sports cars, been a downhill skier and competition swimmer, jumped out of airplanes, and rode saddle broncs.

I can paint a barn with blood as long as it isn't mine, and I still get faint around needles.

Wanna make something of it?

WELL, DO YA, PUNK? :D

No sir! :)

GG ~ :)

Archived