SASS Wire Forum

Rabbit Ear Double

Marshall John Joseph

www.thehighroad.org

A post

I just got a Century JW2000 12 gauge coach gun for cowboy action shooting. For 200 bucks I am very pleased with it. Yes it is heavier, stiff, etc but it is solid, the wood is nice with checkering, the bluing decent. The workmanship is not as bad as folks would lead you to believe. I mean I opened it, put two shells in, cocked two hammers, pulled two triggers, heard two booms, pulled out two empty shells, closed and repeat. Job done. I don't see that cycle failing for any reason and if it did I got a dandy club I would not think would break. I had spent a lot of money on the pistols and rifle and leather and clothes and did not want to go whole hog on the shotgun. The distances you shoot in that sport doesn't require any "superb" shotgun.

IMO it would probably suck as a skeet gun. SxS coach guns aren't as well thought of as over unders or automatics. A longer barrel would track better. Not the right shotgun for the task. I have a saiga 12 which is the ultimate for home defense and tactical 3 gun competition but it isn't the best for skeet.

My only real complaints with my chinese shotgun is I had to tighten up all the screws and the extractor doesn't have any spring on it to push the shells up enough to get your fingers easily on the rims. No plastic that I can see on my shotgun.

If you do get the kid a SxS get some snap caps. Dry firing can break firing pins on SxS shotguns.

GUYS

I recentely had a jw2000 20 ga laying beside a Nincro 20 ga hd

As best as I could tell they are the same Mfg.

There is one at the club that is still running after 4 yrs , I am pretty sure it was worked over , It cocks easy

I do not know who did it but it seems to be a fair old s/g

Heavy yes , Plain wood Yes But it goes BOOM every time

JMO

CHickasaw Bill

These are the same as the Norinco and IAC that have been imported for years. I bought one for $179 at Big 5 about a decade ago. That one was before the stupid cross bolt safety. Don't know if it still comes with that "feature" or not. First time I shot it, with AA Featherlites no less big chunks of the Chinese "mystery" wood came flying off. My local gunsmith fixed it with brass pins, real wood and bondo. Never shot it much after that. On mine the extractors worked ok and shells fell out fine. A pard thot he wanted it a few years ago and offered me money I couldn't refuse. Right after he got it it cratered but he was able to get it fixed. Not sure what the problem was. I would not buy another. Kinda junky if you ask me.

The TTN/Cimarron is a far far superior Chinese hammer double.

If the CIA double is made by the same plant that made the CIA '97 run, don't walk, to the nearest exit. I went through three smiths, and spent twice the purchase price trying to get one to shoot. Coyote Cap finally got it to shoot, but had to remove any provision for a safety of any kind. I told him to keep it for parts. A raging poj in IMHO. :rolleyes::FlagAm:

It is indeed made by "Norinco" the ones we get here in Canada are Heavy , stiff and relieble for the most part .....

The auto safety is easly made into a manuel one .....

They can be sorted out fairly easly by a decent Smith ....

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks. Already told the fella some of your stories and advised him to wait for a TTN or Baikal, then compare and decide. Looking forward to seeing what the "new" Baikals look like with "real working hammers". They were available years ago but I never saw one. Wonder if they are "new and improved", not to imply that the older ones were bad. They are supposed to be designed for the cowboy shooter. We will see.

Cimarron says a shipment of theirs is expected in March, but quantity is unknown and new prices not set. I've got one and it is very nice. I also have a Baikal with cocking hammers and it is nice. I would buy one with "working hammers" if the price were right. This stuff is addictive! Figure I've got enough kids and up and coming grand kids to leave this stuff to. At least that's what I tell my wife.

MJJ

Archived