SASS Wire Forum

The History of the US Service Pistol

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

As far as cartridge fireing sidearms go, it is genearlly thought that the history of the US service pistol is pretty simple....

1873 - 1892 Colt SAA .45

1892 - 1911 Colt DA .38

1911 - 1985 Colt M1911/M1911A1 .45 ACP

1985 - Present Beratta M9 9mm.

That's the "understood" progression, but in reality, it's a very incomplete picutre.

What about the Scofield? What about the M1917 Colt and S&W's? What about the .380 pistols that were issued to General's in WWII? What about .38 Special revolvers that the Air Force carried up till the mid 80's? What about the....

Okay, what I am getting at here is that since the late 1800's, there have been a LOT of differnet pistols that have been in the holsters of our soldiers. There was the offical "main" sidearm, and then there were a lot "supplemental" ones that filled in the gaps do to being unable to build the main one fast enough to meet needs, or specialty pistols were needed for specific reasons and so on.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of a complete listing of every cartridge fireing pistol carried by American servicemen, both the main and supplemental ones, and what their dates of use were?

I have an old double action only .41 Long Colt that says Army Special on the barrel. It was not in great shape when I got it, I refinished it and it looks pretty good. It has real stag grips. Don't know if it was ever a service revolver or not....

The first offical handgun was the Harper's Ferry muzzleloader.

Other interesting guns include the Remington Rolling block pistol in .50-50 and the Liberator .45 ACP single-shot provided to resistance fighters in WWII (use a gun to get a gun).

This story is quite complicated. I actually thought about collecting one each of the main guns at one time. Still may try it.

There are plenty of books out there that already cover this subject.

I'd suggest you locate a copy of

Hogg, Ian V., "Military Small Arms of the Twentieth Century, Sixth Edition", DBI Books Incorporated, 1992.

Good reference.

GJ

"United States Martial Pistols and Revolvers", Arcadi Gluckman. Published 1956, so it's not what you could call up-to-date, but it covers the early stuff fairly well.

Army Special wasn't- Army, at least. Name later changed to the Official Police, it took the place of the CIVILIAN version of the M1892, '94,'96, et c., New Navy/New Army series. Should NOT be "DAO" (a misnomer, actually).

Liberator was not official US issue, probably not "unofficial", either, unless someone dropping these out the back of a C-47 over Europe "liberated" a Liberator for himself.

What about the 1819 North ?

(paper cartridge.) :rolleyes::FlagAm:

Liberator was not official US issue, probably not "unofficial", either, unless someone dropping these out the back of a C-47 over Europe "liberated" a Liberator for himself.

I don't think the Liberator was really ever used for its intended purpose. Kinda like the 1964 Deer gun. I read that the Chinese and the resistance forces in the Philippines got most of the Liberators.

Army Special wasn't- Army, at least. Name later changed to the Official Police, it took the place of the CIVILIAN version of the M1892, '94,'96, et c., New Navy/New Army series. Should NOT be "DAO" (a misnomer, actually).

Don't know about other models, but the one I have is definitely double action ONLY....

Those that you mentioned are listed as Service Pistols. Others listed as Supplemental, auxilliary of substitute standards inclue the others plus the SIG M-10... CID personnel also carried a whole host of "NON STANDARD" weapons like Browning Hi Powers, Colt Commanders, S&W Model 36's etc....

Cartridge firing pistols used be the US Military

1851/38 long, 1860 44 rim fire, 1858 conversions 44 rim fire, used from approx 1866-1873

1873 Colt 45 Colt 1873-1892

1875 S & W 45 S&W used for a few years along side 1873 dropped due to its short cylinder and catridge that would not hold the colt round. 1875-1880?

1892 Colt 38 Long Colt 1892-1901, 1873 & some 1878 Colt where issued due to the lack of stopping power of the 38

1901? Smith and Wesson New Service 45 Long 1901-1911

1911/1911A1 Colt 45 acp 1911-1985

1917 Smith and Wesson/ Colt New Service 45 acp revolver substitute standard 1917-1919 later reused 1942-1945

1903 Colt 380 issued to General Officers

Victory Model Smith and Wesson 38 special 1941-1985 in various forms

M-9 Beretta 9mm 1985-present

M11 Sig 9mm 1987?-present CID Agents and others

226 Sig 9mm 1987ish-present US Navy Seals and NCIS

H&K Socom 45acp 1990?-present

1911 Various Makers 1985-present Used by Special Operation Troops

May be off on some of the dates and my have missed one or two

Archived