SASS Wire Forum

Rotator cuff questions

Chief Rick

Had my MRI read and the following is what it says:

Increased linear signal noted within the distal supraspinatus tendon extending to the footplate representing an intrasubstance tear with associated tendinopathy and fraying of the undersurface. The Infraspinatus, subscapularis and teres minor tendons are intact. Small amount of fluid noted within the subacromial/subdeltoid bursa. No evidence of complete roatator cuff tears. Moderate degenerative changes of the AC joint.

The doc explained what all the parts were and and plans to start me on intensive physical therapy - 2 or 3 times a week, with a re-evaluation in a month to determine if surgery is necessary.

Have any of y'all been through this? What can I expect?

I guess on a positive not, this is my left (weak hand) so I should still be able to shoot.

What does it mean in terms of what you can and can not do? When I tore my right rotator cuff I could not raise my arm above shoulder level. Couldn't throw a ball worth a crap either but I never could. Physical Terrorist twice a week and a lot of home exercise and I was back to normal in 6 weeks. It was the cooperating with the home exercise that did it, there was a lot of pain involved but I did the exercises anyway.

Still can't throw a ball worth a crap though.

Torn mine laying on the ground while a horse tapped danced on my head and shoulder along with my common sense. Surgery was a breeze. Unlike Wolfgang I didn't have the patience for a lot of physical therapy so I pushed it. Recovery was about half the time it normally takes. However I still haven't got my common sense back. ;)

What does it mean in terms of what you can and can not do?

It always aches, but there is more pain when I lift my arm above shoulder height.

Doc said push-ups and calisthenics would be fine but if it started getting painful to stop. I felt saying, DUHHHH!

Do what you are suposed to do . . . re exercise, etc. . . . don't do more than you are supposed to do, . . . take it easy . . . let the body heal.

Easier said than done, huh?

Torn mine laying on the ground while a horse tapped danced on my head and shoulder along with my common sense. Surgery was a breeze. Unlike Wolfgang I didn't have the patience for a lot of physical therapy so I pushed it. Recovery was about half the time it normally takes. However I still haven't got my common sense back. ;)

Well, I ain't gonna comment on that common sense part! And I won't let the wife, either!

I start PT next Tuesday morning so we'll see.

Hi Rick!

Been there and done that - I had almost the same exact thing that started in May of last year in my right cuff. I could hardly tuck my uniform shirt in without almost crying. Saw an orthpod and he gave me the same info. He gave me the choice of PT or surgery. I asked hime one question - if this was your wife or kid, what would you do. We scheduled the surgery that day. I couldn't shoot until December but I think we made the right decision. I had problems with the left (weak side) shoulder in 2007 and it probably took a good 18 months for it to completely resolve. I have learned from being an HM that if ya ask a doc what they would recommend for their own family members you get a better feeling about your course of treatment. Good luck with the shoulder and hope your enjoying your new duty station!

Trina

Hi Trina. Surely miss shooting with y'all up there. Don't miss the weather too much, though!

New duty station is pretty good so far.

Sure is great being so much closer to home and it's really great having the wife shoot with me at some of our (semi)local clubs.

I have learned from being an HM that if ya ask a doc what they would recommend for their own family members you get a better feeling about your course of treatment.

Wish I had thought to ask that when I was seeing the doc today.

He was really receptive to getting me lined up with a chiro and a sleep study on top of the rotator cuff issues.

I tripped and fell down the stairs about ten years ago. Could not use my right arm for anything. Pain was almost constant when the arm was involved. Doc took some pictures and determined that I had torn the cuff. Did surgery. Could not use the arm at all for about 6 weeks. Then had

Physical therapy for about three weeks. I can pretty much use the arm now, but I have trouble

raising my arm over my head and using it. I have to switch hands to comb my hair. But I ain'g got much anyway,

Best situation would be to have not taken the fall. I have found that whenever they cut on you

it ain't the same as before.

my rotator cuff is torn on the left arm. I can't raize my arm up and can't reach back, and as of today just discovered I can't work the Winchester 97 I just picked up. Hmmm gettin old is a real PAIN...

It is only one of many joints I am dealing with that are torn, mangled or just arthritic. Pain meds are starting not to help much....

good luck with yours

curley

Remember how when we were young we couldn't wait to get older? It's highly overrated!

Rick, you missed 18+ inches of that danged white stuff... city shut down, tunnels closed and everyone was in a ditch and you know how deep the ditches are up here.....

The best advise is to do EXACTLY what the doc and the physical torturist says.

Great to see your wife is shooting with you - makes it a greater experience, I think.

MM has a CPAP machine for his snoring and I think he's getting better quality sleep.... I know I AM!!

Good luck and keep us in the loop!

Had my MRI read and the following is what it says:

The doc explained what all the parts were and and plans to start me on intensive physical therapy - 2 or 3 times a week, with a re-evaluation in a month to determine if surgery is necessary.

Have any of y'all been through this? What can I expect?

I guess on a positive not, this is my left (weak hand) so I should still be able to shoot.

The PT worked for me, both shoulders (separate incidents). You'll likely be given an exercise regime to do after formal PT ends... do it... forever... else you'll maybe have relapses too frequently.

I've been told to resist surgery, to the extent possible.

-Chris

I had a similar problem last August after a riding-mower roll-over accident. It hurt for three months! My doctor gave me a little theapy suggestion and I did that once and then dropped it. He said, "Do what you want to and don't be afraid to hurt a little." I took his suggestion. It hurt for two months to heft reloading boxes up to the 7' level. At first I didn't think that I could do it. Now it doesn't hurt at all. I'm still a little stiff, but it is getting better bit-by-bit. He says that I have a little arthiritis, but then I think that is a function of getting older.

My advice is to ask your doctor what you can do and what you shouldn't do. My doctor has a really BAAAAAAD "bedside manner," but he tends to get people out of the doldrums and back into living very quickly.

I fell and tore mine 4 or 5 years ago. Had to have surgery. I DID NOT push harder then directed on the physical therapy, taking the advice I was given by others. 6 months of rehab. I absolutely did not want to have the surgery redone because I didn't follow directions. Plus, if you are still working, when the weekend came I couldn't go out and do the fun things that you look forward too. Good luck and do what they tell you to do. Smokin Gator

Archived