SASS Wire Forum

Monte Walsh - Lee Marvin

Grizzly Dave

Just watched the original, got the DVD for Christmas.

I was kind of expecting not to like it as I like the Tom Selleck version alot.

But, I liked the Lee Marvin version as well. Good movie. Only bone I have to pick with it is Lee Marvin's on and off again mustache, one way or the other please.

Grizz

Lee Marvin was the most under rated cowboy actor of all time. He ranks as one of my favorites and seemed to have a penchant for period correct costuming including the carrying of a quirt. I liked the original better. YMMV.

After watching the Selleck remake I decided to read the book..... After that I'm disappointed in both movies the book is much better. IMHO Monte Walsh by Jack Schaefer is the best western ever written.

CPK

LL, I kinda figured the passage of time thing, it just didn't quite work for me. But all in all a very good movie. Both the old and new versions stand on their own.

Next up will be the Quick and the Dead with Sam Elliot, though from the brief synopsis on the DVD box, it isn't the same story as the more recent movie of the same title with Gene Hackman.

LL, I kinda figured the passage of time thing, it just didn't quite work for me. But all in all a very good movie. Both the old and new versions stand on their own.

Next up will be the Quick and the Dead with Sam Elliot, though from the brief synopsis on the DVD box, it isn't the same story as the more recent movie of the same title with Gene Hackman.

Its not even close---THANK GOODNESS :lol:

Sam Elliot's performance in Louis L'Amore's story is outstanding. That silly movie with Gene Hackman and Sharon Stone was pathetic in comparison. There is no relationship between the two, "Thankfully".

Another thing to be thankful for at this time of year.

After watching the Selleck remake I decided to read the book..... After that I'm disappointed in both movies the book is much better. IMHO Monte Walsh by Jack Schaefer is the best western ever written.

CPK

Gotta go agin ya on tatin,Owen Wisters THE VIRGINIAN,was the best ever writtin.Now theres' one just waitin to be redone,especialy the part where the Virginian talks trampus into buying a bull frog herd.That book had it all..Tom Hanks as the Virginian and tom Selleck as Tranpus,or vice versa..The old series was nothin like the book. In fact they used part of that book in Lonesome Dove,the part where they hung thier friend for russlin and thievin.THat was in the Virginian..

Just finished watching the Quick and the Dead with Sam Elliot, excellent movie.

Yep and i got that knife he used right next to me..

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunc...ntainmen006.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/gunc...ick/RS004-1.jpg

Cracked open the Sam Elliot double feature DVD, Blue River and Back to Texas or something like that. DVD case looks like total westerns, was dissapointed that blue river is NOT a western, but set in modern times. Kind of a weird movie.

The other I haven't watched all of, but is about Sam Houston and Jim Bowie, looks ok, but I'm not a history buff like some of you all.

Grizz

Archived