SASS Wire Forum

Cross draw or dual strong side

BrimstoneJerome

I made the switch, how easy it is for you will depend on how much time you spend practicing with the new style to overcome any habits and muscle memory from shooting the crossdraw. I didn't have any problems making the change, and I'm glad I did.

I shot with a cross draw for several years, and am now getting back into CAS. I was thinking about switching to dual strong sides, L&R. Has anyone mmade this transition and was it difficult?

Regards Brimstone.

I recently got a double muzzle forward crossdraw rig after shooting double strong side for the last four years. It is gonna take a while for me to retrain my muscles!?! I have to think when I holster the second pistol since my hands

have a mind of their own and my transitions are a bit of a struggle.

Nothing is insurmountable though and I like the consistancy of my draws. Oh well back to practicing :angry:

Regards

:lol:

Gateway Kid

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I started with the dual strong side because of the "dreaded" cross draw dance. After a year I switched to cross draw and had no problems at all. I even picked up a few seconds from not swithcing the left hand to right hand when using the dual strong side

I decided to make the change about four years ago and have since gone back and fourth at least a half dozen times. I now have it so screwed up that neither way seems natural. The plan calls for making double strong side and Duelist permanent pretty quick now as I revert back to Frontiersman. Probably easier for young folks but change is very hard for older guys like me.

There is a good way to draw the off hand pistol. The method allows you to easily transition so strong hand is on grip without a bobble and without handing off gun from one hand to the other. Learn how to draw off hand pistol with thumb on the rear strap/sight and index and/or middle finger on the front/bottom of trigger guard. This allows you to bring the gun to the middle of your chest and then forward allowing room for the strong side hand to slip in easily and grasp the grip and off hand is in proper shooting position without hardly moving anything. If you learn this and practice it a lot, it will become second nature and every bit as fast as a cross draw. Do it and practice it a lot before you fire your guns guns. This DOES require a special design in your holsters to have the trigger guard totally exposed. Many rigs are made this way just for this purpose.

My grandson started shooting this summer with just one pistol using a right hand strong side

holster. I just purchased 2 pistols and a left and right strong side holster. Since he has little

experience I am getting him started shooting the left pistol with his left hand and cocking and

supporting with the right hand. That will get away from having to transfer the left pistol and when

he gets older and wants to shoot double duelist or gunfight it would be an easier transition. Am

I wrong in my thinking about shooting left handed? Comments appreciated before I teach

him some bad habits that would be hard to break.

back in the olden days

bout 97

most new shooters seemed to start with crossdraw rigs

me as well

I switched, its a simple adjustment

reach where the pistol is

not where it waz

Yep, I did the same thing. It's about that simple!!

Blackfoot

I switched. Used to use crossdraw, can't you tell that from my alias. :lol: Switching was not all that bad. Just practice holstering and reholstering, transferring pistol from one hand to the other. With just a little practice, you will be able to do it. Mmmm, may be I should change my alias....nah! :angry::wub:

Thanks GC Kid, thata way calms me about the transition,(which is what I was concerned with). I also think I'm from your neck of the woods, I grew up on Mountainview road, East of AJ and West of GC.

Yup, only about 3 miles away or so.

My grandson started shooting this summer with just one pistol using a right hand strong side

holster. I just purchased 2 pistols and a left and right strong side holster. Since he has little

experience I am getting him started shooting the left pistol with his left hand and cocking and

supporting with the right hand. That will get away from having to transfer the left pistol and when

he gets older and wants to shoot double duelist or gunfight it would be an easier transition. Am

I wrong in my thinking about shooting left handed? Comments appreciated before I teach

him some bad habits that would be hard to break.

That may or may not work depending on how much dexterity he has in his left hand. It might be easier for him to use the technique identified earlier. Many of the CAS shooting schools teach the technique identified.

Archived