SASS Wire Forum

DQ Forward

Stump Water

Since the rule has been rescinded, or at least not required, why does EOT continue to impose the rule? I plan on attending for the first time this year and I have signed up for the "warmup match". I realize that the odds are small but, man, I would hate it. Not planning to drop one. :FlagAm:

I agree with Stumpy.

I agree 100%, this will be my 1st year at EOT lord willin, and i just cant see it. I've heard all the if's and but's and they just don't hold much water. Please rescind it.

RED RIVER RAY

I agree 100%, this will be my 1st year at EOT lord willin, and i just cant see it. I've heard all the if's and but's and they just don't hold much water. Please rescind it.

RED RIVER RAY

714259[/snapback]

I agree also. Please rescind it.

Very unfair rule, could keep a lot of good people from a big match like EOT,

No way a person could plan on a BAD thing like this , very bad idea :FlagAm:

There is a lot of money involved in going to EOT !! :FlagAm:

The rule was SOOOOO unpopular that it was rescinded for all matches other than those held at Founder's Ranch. Any match CAN have it but I don't know of any that do. I believe it is a liability problem that the WB has got themselves into and don't see an easy way out. I REFUSE to shoot ANY side matches at Founder's including the warmup because it is too big a risk to miss the main match over a little fun. It is a TERRIBLE rule but it does cut down on shooters at the side matches at EOT and makes them easier to manage.

Come on WB, change it so that if you do something that deserves a MDQ, have it be for that particular event.

In otherwords, if you drop a gun during Side Match day you are DQ on ALL side match events including any Warm Up Matches that day.

This is fair...

Phantom

:FlagAm:

My first EOT is this year and I chose to not shoot the warm up match also because of this. I will shoot side matches though but I will take it easy on them. Its unfortunate because I would have liked to shoot some stages down there before the match. Now I will shoot up in Washington the week before.

My first EOT is this year and I chose to not shoot the warm up match also because of this. I will shoot side matches though but I will take it easy on them. Its unfortunate because I would have liked to shoot some stages down there before the match. Now I will shoot up in Washington the week before.

717198[/snapback]

Yeap - feel yer pain. This is why this DQF rule should be tossed out!

Have fun at your first EoT!

Phantom

:FlagAm:

• 1 month later...

I am making my plans for the week before EOT, and have a question?

Should I take the chance and flush $ 1200.00 down the drain and put me in a bad mood for about a year by droping a gun. I know this happend last year to a local shooter who didn't have as much to loose.

Or should Phantom and I see if some of the local clubs would like to make some extra $$$$$$$ MONEY$$$$$$$$ Just a thought!

That,s why I don,t shoot the side matches or warm at EoT either.

Coming from here the cost is about $6000.00!!!!! for a few weeks over there. We'd be utterly mad with a rule like that. Just imagine,, I'm with Spur Roberts, find another shoot pard. go to Revenge.

Besides there are plenty of other matches before that, Viz, Revenge in Cortez, gotta be one of the best hoot of a shoot ever; and the best people you can ever meet.

Sorry I'm not going this year, but will be there in 2008. 6 shoots in 7 weeks, yyeeehaaww! :o

I wonder how many of the people who are so worried about this rule ever had a MDQ before? I've never had a SDQ, let alone a MDQ, so since I wouldn't change the way I shoot, I wouldn't worry about one at EOT.

Oh. I see. Just don't worry about it.

Nobody plans a MDQ. But it sure would be a b---h if you slipped and fell in the mud and ejected a loaded gun while shooting the warm-up match.

Guest Snakebite, SASS #4767L
I wonder how many of the people who are so worried about this rule ever had a MDQ before?  I've never had a SDQ, let alone a MDQ, so since I wouldn't change the way I shoot, I wouldn't worry about one at EOT.

792792[/snapback]

I originally posted a long winded diddy about this, and pulled it, but the short version is this. It has happened to many shooters, and will happen to many more. You never know when. I lost a button and didn't know it, my cuff caught on my pistol spur and pulled out the gun. It happened to Quick Cal at WR, I can go on with MANY names of shooters that it has happened to. A DQ forward is just that. If you break the 170 in a side match, it is suppose to follow you into the main match, meaning that you get a MDQ upon your first SDQ. For me, it is not worth taking a chance of not getting to shoot the main match, just so I can do the pogo stick shotgun run, or the flapjack pocket pistol flip etc, etc. These things simply are not that important to me. My only option is to vote with my feet, and if I want to warm up, I go elsewhere, where I have no chance of a DQ forward.

Snakebite

I do ride for the brand, and try very hard to support the WB... but this rule is asking too much.

Stump, using your rational, we wouldn't be able to get out of bed, If it's muddy, slow down and watch your step. I'm curious, how many people have had a MDQ, and not able to shoot in the main match since this rule went into effect?

I think that it was last year when a guy had an oops shooting long range rifle and one got out of the berm. No shooting main match for him. There were others...that one sticks out the most though because you really don't expect anything to happen while shooting long range.

I went to New Englad last year for the first New Enland regional. Third stage into the match I was running to a shotgun on a low hay bale. Stumbled as I bent over to get the shotgun and the combination of the stumble and bending over caused my loaded pistol to be ejected from the holster and hit the ground. My first match DQ since I started shooting in 2003. It's bad enough happening in the main match but at least I did get to shoot in it. If the match had been DQ forward and it ahd happened in the squall and $10 side match would have prevented me from shooting the main match.

Stump, using your rational, we wouldn't be able to get out of bed,  If it's muddy, slow down and watch your step.  I'm curious, how many people have had a MDQ, and not able to shoot in the main match since this rule went into effect?

792921[/snapback]

Doesn't have anything to do with getting out of bed but has a lot to do with shooting side matches or not shooting side matches. :o

Of course it does, everything we do could lead to unforeseen consequences. The side matches are part of EOT, if the main match wasn't being held, there wouldn't be any side matches. The posts about spending large sums of money to attend and not being able to shoot are bogus. Lets say you don't shoot any side matches for fear of a MDQ, then on stage one of the main match (EOT) on the way from the loading table to stage your long guns, you drop one, there you go, all that money wasted. There are no guarentees in life, I wouldn't let the fear of a DQ forward prevent me from shooting any match.

Piedra Kid: Thanks for the offer but it looks like we will be leaving Dallas on Sunday.

Snake Bite: I have had my but kicked the last 2 years and I don't plan on it this year. I have already started practicing. I put 1200 rounds down range this week, and I plan to do this up untill EOT. Something I learned from my hero Holly Terror! The last couple of years I didn't shoot the month before EOT and it seemed to take me a couple of stages to get rolling.

Bad Hand: Nobody ever plans to do something stupid like drop a loaded gun! It has happend to a lot of people in SASS. To answer your question it has never happend to me and I hope for safety sake I will always be able to say that. All we are asking is that they think about all the people that don't share your opinion, and would like to shoot a little more with no penitly for doing someting that would cause more personal shame that any penality could give.

To answer your other question some people like to shoot on the range to get used to the elements. I know one thing that I wasn't ready for was there isn't any air up there, but after a few days I got to where I could breath.

I talked to a member of the Wild Bunch and was given the reason for the DQ foward. The reason that it was put into place was a good one and they are holding firm. So I am done and will find something else to do.

Guest Snakebite, SASS #4767L
Snake Bite: I have had my but kicked the last 2 years and I don't plan on it this year.

793752[/snapback]

WoW! I realize that we don't have a chance, but I hope you don't mind if a couple of us poor old souls give it a try. I'm sure us 60 yrs olds couldn't hurt ya, but don't bend over to tie yer shoe! :o

Snakebite

• 2 weeks later...

Archived