SASS Wire Forum

Ruger plastic grips?

Dantankerous

Today I looked at a used Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. The gun appeared to be in excellent condition overall but seemed to have a different sound, almost hollow-like when I cocked the hammer.  I will attribute this to the plastic grips on the gun. And as I got to thinking about it I don't think I've ever handled a Ruger with plastic grips so I've never experienced this.  Am I correct in my assumption that the plastic grips give a different sound than wood or bone when the gun is cocked?

Price seemed just OK at $599.

Might make a nice plinker, well, with better grips. :)

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Today I looked at a used Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. The gun appeared to be in excellent condition overall but seemed to have a different sound, almost hollow-like when I cocked the hammer.  I will attribute this to the plastic grips on the gun. And as I got to thinking about it I don't think I've ever handled a Ruger with plastic grips so I've never experienced this.  Am I correct in my assumption that the plastic grips give a different sound than wood or bone when the gun is cocked?

Price seemed just OK at $599.

Might make a nice plinker, well, with better grips. :)

Absolutely different sound.

Bullion Rose's .357Mag SASS stainless 4-5/8" barreled set looks like those, with those black plastic SASS-buttoned grips.  She finds their thin-ness and overall smaller profile to be much easier for her small hands to hold onto in comparison to the faux staghorn grips on my 5-1/2" .357Mag set that she previously used.  They all go "bang" pretty much the same way with earpro on.  

i went out of my way to find two sets of the plastic grip scales for ,my 51/2" RNV when i bought them to be my main match guns , i had a 43/4" with them that i had found earlier and liked them , they were some anniversary thing at that time , i found them most comfortable , i have other revolvers with wood scales and the faux ivory , i just dont find them quite as comfortable 

My 44 Special Vaquero's came with those black plastic grips. I don't remember if they had the medallions. I'm thinking they did not.

I did not like them at all , second match they had Altamont's. I sold or gave away the plastics years ago.

Rex:D

Archived