SASS Wire Forum

United States of America vs Ruger Vaquero Revolver

Posted (edited)

Civil forfeiture. Bunch of cases like it, here is another:

https://casetext.com/case/united-states-v-ruger-9mm-handgun-serial-no

A suit to seize a specific firearm by serial number from a certain person. Not sure the background as to how these come about.

Edited by John Kloehr
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

?

While @Oak Ridge Regulator might get himself on some list list for the comment, I think he is only reflecting the common perception that just 99% of lawyers make the rest look bad.

• Haha 2

Jees…Why can’t they just say “The USA wants RUGER VAQUERO REVOLVER SN:5783260! Now give it up.”

Do court staff and attorneys get paid by the character or the word?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

An action like this is historically called an "in rem" action, where the property itself is where the court's ruling is against. 

This wikipedia page can probably tell you more about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_rem_jurisdiction

I once filed a lawsuit entitled "State of New Mexico v. Thirty Five Abused Gamecocks."

The gamecocks were eventually given to a veterinarian who adopted them out to good homes.  If anyone owned them, the owner never showed up to claim them and the court order I obtained allowed them to go to her.

In drug cases you will routinely see cases like "United States v. Two hundred thousand dollars in U.S. Currency" or "Nevada v. One 1980 Chevrolet Suburban" or some such. 

1 minute ago, Pat Riot said:

Jees…Why can’t they just say “The USA wants RUGER VAQUERO REVOLVER SN:5783260! Now give it up.”

Do court staff and attorneys get paid by the character or the word?

Generally they are saying that, but that is not how the case is styled.  This process predates the United States and is not new...actions taken against property like this are as old as the modern law is.

Edited by El Chapo

Here’s what you get if you use the serial number as written on that document to do a search on the Ruger website:

image.thumb.png.0012631167e5247a9891f92d31c38106.png

Here’s what you get when you write the serial number correctly:

image.thumb.png.1d8bea46d372f2c3f7f31add39e76d1d.png

Your Honor, this document is incorrect and I move that it be stricken from this case and that my client go free on his/her own recognizance! 

• Like 1