SASS Wire Forum

Capone’s 1911

Nope.  Not my Cuppa.  It has been altered from its original "as carried" condition.  It has been refinished.  Valued by the auction house at several Million??  Nah.  For my opine, the Provenance doesn't justify that kind of price for "just another 1911."

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Nope.  Not my Cuppa.  It has been altered from its original "as carried" condition.  It has been refinished.  Valued by the auction house at several Million??  Nah.  For my opine, the Provenance doesn't justify that kind of price for "just another 1911."

Plus 1000 for Coffinmaker!

I'm with CC. It's been altered, still has historical significance but not the same as original condition. I appreciate the article though...what not to do with a historically significant relic and firearm! I'll give a hundred dollars for it though!

Side note - I did find the Guns of the St Valentines Day interesting. Didn't know that the two Thompsons used in the shooting were recovered and have pictures. Didn't know the only survivor, the dog, was so traumatized that it had to be put down shortly after the event.  Although the '97 theory is somewhat (wildly) assumptive...I did like the article.

I liked the provenance.

Thought running through my mind.

You know, if we had some kind of document that proved that this had originally belonged to Scarface, maybe we could get a couple of million dollars for it at auction.

And the woman says, you mean like this? And she writes

This Colt 45 automatic, serial number C837, belonged to my grandfather Alphonse Gabriel Capone.

signed

Diane Capone Pette

April 2024

Reminds me of the Bonnie and Clyde tommy gun that was sold a few years back.

All the documents say that Bonnie and Clyde did not use tommy guns. They used BARs.

But this woman has a gun that her grandfather or great uncle or somebody like that left to her. He was a deputy sheriff in Texas, and he told her that he took it off Clyde Barrow.

You know like, "I captured this Luger from an SS colonel".

And the only proof that it was Clyde's gun was a letter signed by the woman that owned it saying that somebody told her this 50 years earlier. And it sold for three or four million dollars. Because people are idiots.

• Like 1

provenance has to go deep to be accurate , im happy to accept a letter llke that but not paying those sums , 

i rather like my colt 1918 black army that i have some similar provenience for but its not going to collect those type auction numbers even if i thought it was carried by a well known figure in the first world war , i do know who carried it and i knew him in life but the documents are not strong enough for an auction like that