SASS Wire Forum

Brass cleaning

For those of you who dry tumble brass, how often do you change your dry media?

I usually give myself a Christmas present of some new walnut media and a small bit of the red rouge. Then change it out in January. Unless it was a slow shooting year, then I will give it another three or four months based on if it takes more than two hours time to get the cases pretty. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I'm on about 4 years of the use of the same 3 gallons of walnut hull (lizard litter) media, because I always toss a used dryer sheet into the vibratory bowl with each lot of brass I clean.   Most of the powder fouling, leftover lube, etc. transfers into the sheet.   Of course, I only add a quart of media to any one cleaning batch.  Then it all goes back into the big tub.

Brass comes out of the bowl in 30-45 minutes as clean as ever.

good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 2

whenever it starts taking more than about 3 hours to get the brass shining to my liking.  New crushed walnut usually takes less than 2 hours.  As you tumble the brass you are wearing the sharp points off of the walnut and the smooth walnut will take longer and longer to shine the brass.  Walnut is cheap compared to replacing the motor on my tumbler, so I try to keep the times short.  I usually buy the coarse grind walnut media from Harbor Freight.  A box lasts me over a year and I shoot about 800 to 1,000 rounds a month.

• Like 2

I use corn cob blasting media, 20/40 grit. I pour in a healthy dose of liquid carnauba car wax. Gets them shiny and lubes the cases so they go through the Dillon much smoother. I change it out when the media starts to get quite dark. 

7 hours ago, Mountain Man Champ said:

For those of you who dry tumble brass, how often do you change your dry media?

If you put a couple of used dryer sheets in your media - I cut/tear into four pieces - it will help extend the life of your media a LOT! I wet and dry tumble so it doesn’t get so dirty anymore but I’d take a scoop of dirty out and replace with new - and the dryer sheets. You can even run it with the dryer sheets and no brass. 

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 2