SASS Wire Forum

Martha Raye, Colonel Maggie

main-qimg-71fa5b74ea637fdffcaf2f0e206d4bc1

“Captain, see this eagle? I am a full 'Bird' in the US Army Reserve, and on this is a 'Caduceus' which means I am a Nurse, with a surgical specialty, now, take me to your wounded!" He said, "Yes ma'am. follow me."

"It was just before Thanksgiving '67 and we were ferrying dead and wounded from a large GRF west of Pleiku. We had run out of body bags by noon, so the Hook (CH-47 CHINOOK) was pretty rough in the back.

All of a sudden, we heard a 'take-charge' woman's voice in the rear.

There was the singer and actress, Martha Raye, with a SF (Special Forces) beret and jungle fatigues, with subdued markings, helping the wounded into the Chinook, and carrying the dead aboard. ‘Maggie' had been visiting her SF 'heroes' out 'west'.

We took off, short of fuel, and headed to the USAF hospital pad at Pleiku.

As we all started unloading our sad pax's, a 'Smart Mouth' USAF Captain said to Martha,

“Ms Ray, with all these dead and wounded to process, there would not be time for your show!" “Captain, see this eagle? I am a full 'Bird' in the US Army Reserve, and on this is a 'Caduceus' which means I am a Nurse, with a surgical specialty, now, take me to your wounded!" He said, "Yes ma'am. follow me."

Martha Raye's exemplary service to the Army - including trips to Vietnam to entertain the Green Berets - earned her a funeral here with full military honors.

The Special Forces soldiers called her ``Col. Maggie.'' She said the Green Berets were like her sons, and some even called her ``Mom.'' Today, she is expected to get her wish to be buried alongside them.”.

she is the only woman buried in Fort Bragg’s Special Forces Cemetery.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

It's a great story. Urban legend, but it's a great story.

She was made an honorary lieutenant colonel (see the oak leaves, not eagles) in the Green Beret.

And according to her sister she had no nursing experience, let alone being a surgical nurse.

She was not in the Army reserve.

• Sad 1

October 1966 the Tigers stepped off into deep stuff near Vi Than. 

Lots of birds shot up and shot down, lots of casualties.

Martha Raye was at Soc Trang to do a show, but that night she worked as a nurse treating the wounded and donated a unit of blood ( I think that Jackie Kirk was the recipient ).  The night after all this she put on her show for us.

There is nothing that the Tigers would not do for her.  She deserves to be buried with her boys!, she was a class act.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was watching outtakes of some movie she was in with Red Skelton.

She reached down and was fondling his kneecap, and said, "If this wasn't your knee, I'd marry you".

• Haha 1