SASS Wire Forum

S&W 500 J frame

18 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I’m not pulling the trigger on that one 

April fools :lol: from S&W 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

It's an interesting thought.

Which would be more painful? The recoil? Or the explosion?

I wouldn’t want to find out!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

It's an interesting thought.

Which would be more painful? The recoil? Or the explosion?

The recoil.  The shrapnel from the disintegrating cylinder would probably miss your support hand index finger if you wrap it around your strong hand & not parallel to the cylinder. 

• Haha 1

Wait! I heard the frame was enhanced with scandium and tungsten.  The grips are of a revolutionary material they will not release the names of the materials involved. 
The front sight is made of a polymer rubber to bounce off your forehead rather than embed itself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aint no way I want to light one of those off - plus I think you would be limited to (maybe) a 3 round cylinder.

Heavy recoil out of a J frame is no fun.

I've told this story before.

A few years ago I ordered a S&W 340 PD.

J frame 5 shot 357mag Scandium.

The revolver arrived at our shop and I decided I immediately had to try it out.

Well, as our gunshop deals nearly exclusively with used firearms - we are always getting in guns with loose rounds in the case, half empty boxes of ammo, etc.

These odds and ends get placed on a shelf in our back room and I eventually get around to shooting it up or giving it away.

So knowing I likely have some non inventory 357 ammo sitting around - I go in back and find a box of Winchster white box promo (Walmart) ammo and dump 5 rounds out.

I load up the Smith; let my Mom know I am heading out behind the shop to our testing berm and will be firing off some rounds.

Now 357 is not a joke round and Scandium is prety light; so I get a good grip and light off the first round.

BOOOM!!!

Ow, ow, ow - that thing kicked as hard as any handgun I have ever shot - felt a bit like my palm had just gotten slapped with a piece of rebar.

I look at my gun, look at my palm - and tell myself that I am over reacting; I must have had a poor grip - there aint NO WAY that thing kicked as badly as it just felt like it did.

I fire it again.

BOOOM!!!

Ow, ow, ow - yes it does kick just as badly as I thought it did the first time.

Now I am not a wimp - I am not in any way recoil adverse.  

But I am already rethinking this purchase.

So I'm standing there - palm stinging and realizing I still have three rounds left.

I COULD simply unload it and go back inside the shop or I can finish off the cylinder...

BOOOM, BOOOM, BOOOM!!!

A deep breath and head back inside; shaking my hand like I had just petted an unfriendly porcupine.

My Mom loks at me and asks,

"What in the world was that?  That thing was loud."

Now remember, this berm has been used for handguns of every caliber, rifles up to 458 Win mag, 12 gauge shotguns; and I don't recall my Mom ever questioning the noise level before.

I respond, "Just a 357 - but it kicks like a mule."

My Mom cocks her head a little bit and says, "Oh, 357?  Joseph came by earlier and brought you a box of 357 - it's in a white box on the shelf."

Now a bit of background; my Moms house and the shop (separate buildings) share the same five acre lot in a joint residential - commercial area and Joseph was our nearest neighbor. 

Joseph was also an avid handloader - thrilled to death to find himselves neighbors with a neighborhood gun shop.  

And Joseph loved LOVED pushing rounds up and beyond accepted standards.

So I wander back into the backroom and pickup that white box of 357 - written on the bottom of the box...

"357 magnum 158grain  - 2100 fps"

"Dan, only shoot this in your Rossi 92 - no handguns"

Shooting "standard" 357's in that J frame was pretty much nothing after that nasty introduction.

So after all that - a 500mag out of a J frame?

Now I kinda want one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1