SASS Wire Forum

Large Match Registration and Posse Assignment Program - Download Free

Popcorn Kelly

I just posted my latest video titled:  Up Next Ep 6: Large Match Registration and Posse Assignments Made Easy
When we held our first Illinois State Championship match in 2022 I needed a way to register shooters and then assign them to posses according to their posse requests.  Having never done this, I had to figure it out.  

In this episode I describe the Match Registration and Posse Assignment program I developed that simplified registration and posse assignments taking into consideration every shooters' Posse With requests.  The program as currently configured accommodates match sizes of up to 200 shooters and 12 Posse Marshals, although it could easily be altered to accommodate 500, 800, 1,000 shooters, and more (although I don't have a need to go that big).  As I say in the video, I'm not holding this out as the "best."  I'm sure there are several ways to skin this cat.  All I know is that this is very easy and works well for me.

If you are in charge of registering shooters and assigning them to posses according to their Posse With requests, this may be of some interest to you.

I am making this program available free of charge to download to anyone that would like to try it out. The link is in the video description as well as in the video itself.
Users should be modestly familiar with Excel.
The Aliases have been changed in this video to protect the innocent.

Here is a link to the YouTube video

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'll take a look at this video tomorrow.

I currently use Excel for our small annual, but anything that makes it "easier" is always good.

@Popcorn Kelly

We have our annual match coming up next month.  Historically, I've just use Excel to cut & paste.  It can be done, but it's time consuming and mistakes can and do happen (not getting people on a posse with someone they asked for).

The other issue has been re-assigning people to balance the posse.

Your macros in Excel are great for me so far.

It contains a lot of data that we don't/haven't used, but it's better to have and not need.

Thank you!

Chief Rick, Glad to hear it's working for you so far.  Yes, I included things on this model we don't use either, e.g., side match and warm-up match information.  I included them because I've seen others ask about them on their registration forms.  As you say, it's easier to have the option to record the information but not need it, than it is to need the option but not have it.  Good luck and let me know how the model worked for you when your match is in the history books.  

PK

• Like 1

Chief Rick, Here's another thought.  If you Unprotect the Registration Worksheet you can hide the unwanted columns.  I advise you to Protect the worksheet again once you're done. Also, make a copy of the workbook prior to unprotecting it in case an unintended change is made you can simply use the backup copy instead of trying to fix the broken one.

PK

• Like 2

Would it be possible for someone to post the link for the spreadsheet? I watched the vid on my phone and saw no link!

Much Obliged 

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Would it be possible for someone to post the link for the spreadsheet? I watched the vid on my phone and saw no link!

Much Obliged 

There was a link in the vid I looked at, but not clickable - have to write it down.  But there is a clickable link in the video description. 

Here it is again: https://rb.gy/jc7rgt  (if you click this link it will ask if you want to leave Youtube.  Click "Go To Site")

Edited by Abilene, SASS # 27489
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gentlemen, no idea why the link doesn't show on my phone. They generally don't.

21 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Thanks Gentlemen, no idea why the link doesn't show on my phone. They generally don't.

i had to click the more option at the end of the description and it loaded a few more words and the link.

TM

• Thanks 1