SASS Wire Forum

158grn Lead Round Nose Flat Point

Skiddsteer1

Anyone know of a compa58ny who makes these without the cannelure? I have an older Navy Arms carbine chambered in .357 mag only. Currently I load out to 1.55 OAL on a cannelured 158grn bullet. I have 16lbs of Hodgdon HS6 that has a matching recipe for this powder. I measure the length of the receiver on the rifle to 1.60. The start charge is for 6grn of HS6 with a minimum of 1.610 OAL on the cartridge for 990 fps. Perhaps I have answered  my own question that this recipe is too long. Any observations? Thanks.

8 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Thanks, at this juncture I can see the benefit of these bullets. Just now I tried to come up with a pattern cartridge with a bullet with a double cannelure. At normal crimping I was getting bullet rotation in the case but absolutely no setback. I will order some Bear Creek bullets.

• Like 1

My Lyman # 47 gives a maximum length for 357 at 1.590. I would check cup pressure for your intended data. 357 has a cup maximum at 45000 psi. Unless you are close to or over max cup I don't think it would be a problem (disclaimer this is my opinion so take with grain of salt). Another option is call Hodgdon and ask them about the information. Also since 357 is safe to shoot 38 special in may not be issue. I load to 1.55 since my Rossi 92 is finicky with short rounds.

16 hours ago, watab kid said:

those look like the answer - ive not had issues with the canalure in mine [yet] 

Hi Watab! Skid here! Remember me from WOWS?

12 hours ago, Skiddsteer1 said:

Thanks, at this juncture I can see the benefit of these bullets. Just now I tried to come up with a pattern cartridge with a bullet with a double cannelure. At normal crimping I was getting bullet rotation in the case but absolutely no setback. I will order some Bear Creek bullets.

Get a Lee Factory Crimp Die. 

• Like 1

Skidsteer,

I'm some confused by your terminology.  "Cannelure??"  Normally a cannelure is a ribbing imprint.  Are you actually talking about a "Crimp Groove??"  1.60 is the maximum length of your Carrier Block and may be pushing too long.  Crimping the bullet for 1.55 should be fine, but for a tube magazine rifle you should be looking for bullets with a dedicated crimp groove that will yield a cartridge less than 1.60.  You can also run 38 Special cartridges in the gun.

7 hours ago, Skiddsteer1 said:

Hi Watab! Skid here! Remember me from WOWS?

yes i do - will i see ou there this year ? im looking forward to it - just gotta take time to sign up and send my funds , if you come this year look me up , perhaps we will shoot on the same pssie 

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

yes i do - will i see ou there this year ? im looking forward to it - just gotta take time to sign up and send my funds , if you come this year look me up , perhaps we will shoot on the same pssie 

Sound great Watab! Take care.

8 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Skidsteer,

I'm some confused by your terminology.  "Cannelure??"  Normally a cannelure is a ribbing imprint.  Are you actually talking about a "Crimp Groove??"  1.60 is the maximum length of your Carrier Block and may be pushing too long.  Crimping the bullet for 1.55 should be fine, but for a tube magazine rifle you should be looking for bullets with a dedicated crimp groove that will yield a cartridge less than 1.60.  You can also run 38 Special cartridges in the gun.

The rifle is chambered for .357 mag. "cannelure" is terminology for "crimp groove" I load on a Square Deal B. Unfortunately for me I have 1000 158grn with a double cannelure and at 1.55 the top of the casing is going into the bottom one. The bullet spins inside of the case but I have NO setback. That is why I ordered Bear Creek bullets w/o the cannelure(s) Thanks.

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Get a Lee Factory Crimp Die. 

OK. I assume it will fit into a Dillon Square Deal B progressive?

If your bullet is able to spin in the case but cannot push in, I believe you are crimping too much.  Readjust your die to just seat the bullet.. Should have some frition holding the bullet.  If so adjust your crimp down untill you have 0.002/ 0.003 compression on the top edge of the case.  Brass springs back after sizing slightly.  Lead does not.  It is possible to crimp enough the reduce the diameter of the bullet.   Even uncrimped neck tension should hold the bullet in place   Gook luck    GW

7 hours ago, G W Wade said:

If your bullet is able to spin in the case but cannot push in, I believe you are crimping too much.  Readjust your die to just seat the bullet.. Should have some frition holding the bullet.  If so adjust your crimp down untill you have 0.002/ 0.003 compression on the top edge of the case.  Brass springs back after sizing slightly.  Lead does not.  It is possible to crimp enough the reduce the diameter of the bullet.   Even uncrimped neck tension should hold the bullet in place   Gook luck    GW

Thanks GW. Skid.

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

ill look forward to it my friend 

Looking forward to seeing you too.        GW

hey GW i am looking forward to seeing you as well , just mentioned you to a friend yesterday , i was trying to get him to join us and mentioned you as well as some others as good friends out at PITV and WOWS as well