SASS Wire Forum

What movie was this?

Alpo

Two guys, who don't like each other.

There is an auction, and Guy number one is bidding, and whatever he bids guy number two ups the bid - "and two bits". Just so the guy number one won't win the auction. So it would be something like guy number one bids $583, and Guy number two says "and two bits".

That sound familiar to anybody?

Last night I was watching UNCONQUERED. The American colonies, pre-revolution. Gary Cooper did not like this man who was bidding. And he would bump the bid.

"And sixpence."

The guy started bidding at £20, and he runs out of money at £110, and Coop says, "and sixpence".

So he bought Paulette Goddard for £110 6d. He didn't want her, he just didn't want the other guy to get her.

And that sounded so familiar. Bumping the bid like that. But I can't remember what the movie was. "And two bits".

You're right. Curly was bidding on Laurie's basket, and Judd was bidding against him. Curly ended up selling his gun and his horse to have enough money to keep bidding. And every time he raised the bid Judd said "and two bits".

Thank you. That would have driven me crazy over the next 3 or 4 days.

51 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You're right. Curly was bidding on Laurie's basket, and Judd was bidding against him. Curly ended up selling his gun and his horse to have enough money to keep bidding. And every time he raised the bid Judd said "and two bits".

Thank you. That would have driven me crazy over the next 3 or 4 days.

Did someone forget to tell you ....You are crazy.....

Texas Lizard

Long weekend...Now you will not have to worry....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember the movie or it could have been a tv show. They are bidding on an Indian lady and the guy has his back turned and keeps biding and never looks at what he is biding on. The guy biding that wins knows how much the other guy said he would pay to win the auction as he had bragged in the saloon how much he could spend. The other man is getting mad and stops bidding one bid short of what he said he would pay to win the auction. The guy turns around and is shocked to see he had bought a lady and it cost him all the money he had made on pelts and he only has a few cents left. She follows him around and she is upset that he does not want her. He finally loses the lady at the end of the show in a shooting contest with a young man that wants the lady.

I searched on goggle some and will keep ;looking. Might have been an episode of Danial Boone, Gunsmoke or something similar.

Yep, that was an episode of Daniel Boone where "Josh" Jimmy dean wins the girl. 

In "Paint Your Wagon",  Ben Rumson (Lee Marvin)) bids on the wife of a Morman and wins. One of his compatriots says, "You got a woman for money?"  Mad Jack (Ray Walston) replies, "You try and get one without it!" or words to that effect. (After 57 years, I oughta know!)