SASS Wire Forum

Birth Certificate

Alpo

Do they make any effort to see if the information is correct? Or do they just write it down?

Fiction. Boy meets girl, in college. Girl's name is Marilyn. When she takes him home to meet her family he's surprised to find that everyone calls her Mary. Nurse was hard of hearing. Good Catholic family name the first daughter after Mary, the virgin, and Lynn, daddy's little sister. Mary Lynn. Nurse wrote it down wrong. Marilyn. When she starts school the nuns told her that her name was not Mary, it was Marilyn.

Three different fictions. Webcomic. Mother left father's name blank. Novel. Mother told them unknown for father. The movie I was watching last night. The girl didn't tell him she was pregnant, and moved to the other end of the state. She listed him as the father but he didn't find out about that for 6 years.

And that got me thinking. Do they verify who the father is? Young lady has a baby and tells them that the father is Donald Trump and they write that down and everyone believes it?

A birth certificate is considered prime proof of who you are. So do they make any effort to find out if the information you give is correct? You can claim American citizenship if one of your parents is American. Show the birth certificate as proof. :huh:

Odd thing here, when I got my driver's license renewed, I had to have a copy of my Birth Certificate. They won't accept an original??!!?? Has to be a copy and they don't keep it. Went next door to an office and persuaded an Receptionist to copy it for me! Took the copy back and they were all happy! Made absolutely no logical sense to me!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I heard, a few years back, of a guy who was listed on the birth certificate as the father. Was paying child support, because the mother said he was the father. He had DNA testing, and proved he was not the father. Still had to pay child support because the birth certificate said he was.

Don't know if that's a true story or not but I'm pretty sure I read it in the newspaper.

• Sad 2

55 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I heard, a few years back, of a guy who was listed on the birth certificate as the father. Was paying child support, because the mother said he was the father. He had DNA testing, and proved he was not the father. Still had to pay child support because the birth certificate said he was.

Don't know if that's a true story or not but I'm pretty sure I read it in the newspaper.

That is the way it works.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Something similar happened to my brother only he decided to continue paying because he loved that little girl. To this day he is her Daddy and her father. He gave her away at her wedding last year as her biological father looked on from the church pew halfway back in the church. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Settling dad’s estate.  The birth certificate county provided had dad’s middle name wrong.  County insisted they were correct until I showed them dad’s original birth certificate.  They agreed to reissue birth certificate with the correction but refused to correct their records because Dad’s original birth certificate was issued by a hospital and not by a governmental agency. 

I’m on the Board for a conservancy district.  20 years ago the Board bought property, had it surveyed to acquired a legal description and gave the legal description to the county for recording.  Now we want to install ground based solar panels which requires the county’s blessing.  County tells us the legal description they recorded is off by 100 feet and demands the district have our property resurveyed.  I wonder what assurance we’ll have that the county can record it correctly this time? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Settling dad’s estate.  The birth certificate county provided had dad’s middle name wrong.  County insisted they were correct until I showed them dad’s original birth certificate.  They agreed to reissue birth certificate with the correction but refused to correct their records because Dad’s original birth certificate was issued by a hospital and not by a governmental agency. 

I’m on the Board for a conservancy district.  20 years ago the Board bought property, had it surveyed to acquired a legal description and gave the legal description to the county for recording.  Now we want to install ground based solar panels which requires the county’s blessing.  County tells us the legal description they recorded is off by 100 feet and demands the district have our property resurveyed.  I wonder what assurance we’ll have that the county can record it correctly this time? 

My daughter does freelance title work, no big deal a lot of people do but her specialty is actually examining the titles. She has found many flaws. Often asked, “can’t you just pass it like the last (insert number) did?” “no you need a lawyer to fix it.”  She graduated law school, passed the bar in three states, and decided she didn’t like working in a law office.

• Like 1

My "birth certificate" got me through 79 years of government and civilian jobs, security clearances up to and including Top Secret, and number of background checks for jobs, etc.

I wanted a "Real ID" Driver's License with a little gold star (even though I will never knowingly get on an airplane again) that requires a copy of a birth certificate, and was told that my "birth certificate" was NOT a real birth certificate at all, but a document that told me that the State of Oregon, where I was born, had a real one on file in Portland....not even in the state's capital of Salem.

I called and the nice lady asked me questions and said it might take a while, maybe a month or so, because these older certs were still on microfiche and hadn't been added to the computer data base yet.

I sent a check for the copy and five more just in case I ever needed them, and settled in to wait.  Cost me about $40.00.

I got them ten days later and decided I didn't want a Real ID after all.

A friend pointed out to me that I had done in less that two weeks what Barak Obama couldn't do in two terms as President with all his resources: locate and produce a real live Certificate of Birth.

I still may frame them together with an explanation just for bragging rights.

Oh, yeah.  Both Mom and dad had to sign the original confirming that they were my parents and were legally married.  WHEEEE!  Proof positive that I am NOT the bastard that so many people have called me over the years

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

And who gets to pay for the resurvey?

• Like 1

I used to have a birth certificate from the hospital. Had an drawing of an airplane on the top of it. Because I was born in a Naval Air Station dispensary. I don't know what happened to it, but I would like to have a copy. I doubt getting in touch with the hospital would help, though. It's no longer a Naval Air Station. No idea if they still have records.

When I needed a copy of my birth certificate, I got in touch with the state and I told them where I was born and they said no I wasn't. It seems that Lakehurst Naval Air Station is not in Lakehurst. It's in Manchester, which is not even in the same county as Lakehurst.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

And who gets to pay for the resurvey?

The District pays for it with revenue from the taxpayer.

• Thanks 1