SASS Wire Forum

Samuel Clemens and John T. Lewis

main-qimg-986c6e43282a2cf9740dc9a60fcae2f4

John T. Lewis was born a freedman in 1835 Maryland. He eventually settled in Elmira, NY, when one day his life changed unexpectedly.

He was coming home from the market when he saw, careening down the road toward him, a carriage pulled by a runaway horse. In the carriage were three very frightened women. Hurriedly moving to the side of the road, he lept from his wagon and seized the bridle of the horse, pulling it to a stop.

The women were the wife, daughter, and nurse of the wealthy Charles Langdon family who lived on Quarry farm. The Langdons were the in-laws of Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain is his pen name). Upon returning the ladies' home, General Langdon personally gave Lewis a check for one thousand dollars and later delivered a gold watch that read:

John T. Lewis, who saved three lives at the deadly peril of his own, on August 23, 1877. This in grateful remembrance from

Mrs. Charles J. Langdon.

Twain was visiting the farm that day and gave him 50 dollars and a set of books personally inscribed. Lewis was able to clear his entire sixty-four-acre farm with the gifts. He also became employed by the Langdons on Quarry Farm.

He and Mark Twain became intimate friends and spent much time together, spanning a friendship of more than 30 years.

They were frequently photographed together. Whenever the noted writer visited the Langdons - and much of his writing took place on the Quarry Farm, which Mr Lewis cultivated - they were often together.

Twain once said, “I have not known an honester man or a more respect-worthy one.”

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Nice story.  I don't know when color photography started so I'm guessing the picture has been colorized?  Not trying to discredit the information at all, just kinda wondering.

Color photography was becoming fairly common in the 1890s.

Having friends who are around for years is surely a blessing to be sought and cherished!

• Like 1

Great photo and story!

Not to take anything away from this but “honester” was a word? I had no idea. 

22 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

It is if Mark Twain said so. 

I would think he would have said, "more honest".

26 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I would think he would have said, "more honest".

Mark Twain was the first writer to use American dialects in his work.

“More honest” is correct by modern standards, and probably by educated standards in his day. 

But “honester” has a simple folksy roll that reflects a dialect of that era. It’s completely in sync with his style. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It isn’t much of a stretch to realize that Sam Clemens most often saw the world through the eyes of Huck Finn!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think that the thing about the photograph that sticks out to me, is the stark contrast between the two men. Mr. Clemens is fairly dapper in his clean suit and shiny shoes, standing along side his friend, Mr. Lewis, dressed as if he just came out of the fields in his stained, holey jeans and shoes with holes in them.

Cool story, thanks for the post.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 6:52 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Great photo and story!

Not to take anything away from this but “honester” was a word? I had no idea. 

Samuel Clemens’ formal education ended in the fifth grade at age 12 when his father died. Everything else he learned along the way.