SASS Wire Forum

Rough Riders

Its warming up here in MN, but cloudy and sort of depressing.  So I put the Rough Riders movie on the DVD player.  I haven't seen it in years, but it is still a good show.  Good combat scenes and the tight filming of individual actors really brought the danger of the battles to life.  Weaponry for the most part was accurate, even to the one inch Hotchkiss revolving cannon  gun, and Gatlings use.  Colt 1895 machine guns and Maxim guns, plus some Krupp field pieces and Krags were in evidence. 

Edited by Tex Jones, SASS 2263
  • Like 4

I myself really liked that bunch of dismounted Rough Riders with the left-handed Krags. I would like to find one, so I can have a mirror set - one right-handed one left-handed.

They must be really rare though, because I've never seen one for real.

• Haha 2

im also enjoying this balmy minnesota weather - sorta - it means winter is that much shorter but expecting the other shoe to drop real soon , 

that said , nuthin wrong with a great movie or a good book , been doing both as this weather although inviting to go out , is really tuff on my arthritis pains as it seems to just settle in ands takes a while to recover from after you get back out of the exposure , im not complaining mind ya , just sayin , life is good , 

One of the best scenes in the movie. In my opinion.

The train is going south, to Florida where they're going to get on a boat to Cuba. Every town they go through there's a crowd of people waving flags and playing martial music and just shouting hooray.

And they're going through some little town in the south, and there's this little boy-kid with an old man. The kid says, "They's wearin' blue, Grandpa. Is they Yankees?"

Old man says, "They's Americans."