SASS Wire Forum

Help, a little trouble with host club-private non proflt 501 C7

Howdy all, having a little trouble with our club which is a private club 501 C7 non profit. Our members are restriced to two guests per member. In the past this applied for bringing out guests for casual shooting, not SASS, CFDA, and IDPA etc.. matches.  Our cowboy matches were always exempt from this. Now we  have new board members, new pres, new attorney. One suggestion was to act as third party, but that would mean having to purchase our own insurance  Anyone have a simular situation.??

Thanks, Jefro

22 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Is there another range you could shoot at?

Do you have a link to the club in question? 

IMHO, sounding like they want you gone...

I have to agree with OLG. The club I use to run the cowboy shoots at had a new set of board members come in 3 years ago. Next thing you know the cowboy shooters were pushed out. We were not making enough money I guess and they wanted our monthy Sunday for other shooting events that they were interested in. Good luck!

Edited by High Spade Mikey Wilson

It depends on the club's bylaws.  At one range I'm a member of, there is a process for groups to have matches.  Once you meet the requirements and the board/members agree, you fall under the clubs umbrella for insurance.  They take in all the money and disburse it for maintenance, insurance, land rental, etc.

Another range is less formal.  They provide the range for a fee.  The club provides the insurance, targets, and other incindentals.

• Like 1

Typically, the club insurance is the issue.  If the event is an official club event, no problem.  If it is not, you will have to obtain insurance.  We had a similar situation, though not Cowboy shooting.  Unless it is a very busy club I would think you could get something on the schedule, and provided it puts no burden on other members, and some tangible benefit accrues to the organization, get approval for at least a trial run.

• Like 1

Our cowboy club is a wholly owned event of our parent club. We are covered under their insurance. Several years ago, the parent club changed the bylaws to include the current cowboy club president as a member of the board. We aren't the biggest income for the club but we bring in a steady revenue. Our cowboy club vice president is also on the parent board as a trustee. Things are good.

• Like 3