SASS Wire Forum

Tis the season

Lawdog Dago Dom

Shortcake and I are subs at a few rural schools. I found this letter on my desk when she got home the other day. Believe it or not, there are kids within 10 miles of your door who aren’t doing so well. We all wonder where our $$ go when we give to a charity. Find a school nearby and your dollars go right where they are needed. Hard to look at CAS catalogs when a teen down the road just wants to be warm on the school bus. I’ll get to the cowboy stuff next month.

IMG_0058.jpeg

Schoolmarm was just that for a total of 33 years!

In her first job, we lived in a town that, at the time, was thought to be the richest per capita city in North America.  You’d be amazed at the number of children who NEVER had a new pair of shoes or a new shirt or skirt!  

We often gave new clothing or shoes to kids who had little.

The last school she taught in was in a depressed neighborhood.  She was constantly giving students stuff that they wouldn’t get otherwise!  In the last few years that she taught, that school simply put every child in the student body on the free lunch program because it was cheaper to just feed ‘em all than to try to keep up with who should or shouldn’t receive the support!

5 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

One organization that I regularly give to is one that focusses on families and gets names from the local schools. A great way to give where you know it will do direct good.

im all for putting it in the hands of those that need , i resent the big advertisers that spend a lot on management and promotions - ill never give to the UN again or united way for that matter , id far rather get a local family and give directly , 

When I was stationed at China Lake, the Harley Owners Group I belonged to, sponsored a family for Thanksgiving and another for Christmas.  Used to get family names from the Salvation Army till we found out that they didn't vet the applicants and several people that didn't need assistance were getting it. ( We found out that several snow birds in the local RV park were applying for and getting free thanksgiving and Christmas dinners ) :angry:

My late wife was in charge of the program the next year so she went to the school superintendent for names of families that really needed help. There was never any doubt that the families we assisted needed the help.  

Whatever you do, know your recipient. I know of one Christmas program that wanted gifts for reservation kids. Most didnt have power. Some spendy electronic gifts were donated and unusable by the kids. Another example, hispanic families were gifted turkeys and trimmings, unprepared. They had no idea what to do with a turkey and ended up feeding the cats with it.

Good will is one thing not to waste when so much is truly needed.

Archived