SASS Wire Forum

Question for modern navy guys

Heavy seas made the oak create and "shiver"

Lower deck slang mostly.

I haven't seen Master and Commander, either.

I do have a real tough time watching "modern" shows that depict ships with six-feet wide passageways and cell phone reception inside the ship at sea.

The first 10 minutes of this video depict what life can be like during heavy seas on a modern DDG.

life inside the most dangerous us navy arleigh burke class destroyers - YouTube

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I haven't seen Master and Commander, either.

I do have a real tough time watching "modern" shows that depict ships with six-feet wide passageways and cell phone reception inside the ship at sea.

The first 10 minutes of this video depict what life can be like during heavy seas on a modern DDG.

life inside the most dangerous us navy arleigh burke class destroyers - YouTube

My ship, the USS Virginia CGN-38 was commissioned as DLGN-38. “League Destroyer, guided missile, nuclear power”

It was about 80’ longer than the average Destroyer. The Virginia was 580’ long.

It became a Cruiser because President Carter saw that the USSR had more Cruisers than we did. Since the Virginia had two gun mounts and two missile launchers (destroyers usually had one of each) he classed the VA as a Cruiser. 

I loved rough seas. My shipmates did not and thought I was nuts. We bounced around a lot and I thought excessively until we were sailing the VA-Capes with other ships heading into the Atlantic for War Games. There was a Fast Frigate in our group. NOW THAT was “bounced around”. :lol:

My Room mate when I was stationed in Rota Spain with VQ-2 was deployed to a carrier participating in North Atlantic war games. He brought back video of a storm the carrier went through that had green water coming over the bow. He said that while it sucked being on the carrier he couldn't imagine how bad it was on the small boys in the battle group.

For those not familiar the term "green water"  means that the bow of the ship was below the top of the wave when the ship passed through it. 

Archived