SASS Wire Forum

45 Years Ago Today

Cypress Sun

The saying "Don't drink the Kool-Ade" had it's origin with the Jim Jones led suicide of over 900 people at Jonestown, Guyana.

Ironically, Kool-Aid wasn't used in the suicide mixture...it was Flavorade.

I'm still at a loss of understanding how so many people could be cajoled into mass suicide.

I have seen people in a few churches that were very cult like. Manipulated by a minister or a minister and some select individuals that influenced people into giving up nearly all their “worldly goods” for the good of their church.

The cult of personality is very real. 

The reason I was at those churches? My Dad took us there. He was searching for his perfect church. 

I could write a book on that aspect of my life and the things I saw and experienced. 

i was always baffled by that event as well , it took out a congressman if i recall correctly and he was not a willing participant , i thought most of those followers followed the command without knowing what they were given , but its a long time ago and i cant recall all the details , i never understood the parents that took their children there to die like that , 

7 hours ago, watab kid said:

i was always baffled by that event as well , it took out a congressman if i recall correctly and he was not a willing participant , i thought most of those followers followed the command without knowing what they were given , but its a long time ago and i cant recall all the details , i never understood the parents that took their children there to die like that , 

They knew that they were killing themselves. They had "practiced" it, Jones was announcing that they were committing "revolutionary suicide" and 900+ people didn't all just die at once. From what I understand about suicide by cyanide is that it is quite painful and, for lack of a better word, unpleasant. The people near the rear of the drink line had to witness the others dying a horrible death. 

22 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

The saying "Don't drink the Kool-Ade" had it's origin with the Jim Jones led suicide of over 900 people at Jonestown, Guyana.

Ironically, Kool-Aid wasn't used in the suicide mixture...it was Flavorade.

I'm still at a loss of understanding how so many people could be cajoled into mass suicide.

I don't understand how so many people can be cajoled into mass idiocy in almost everything around the world today.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I don't understand how so many people can be cajoled into mass idiocy in almost everything around the world today.

That’s because for the last 3 decades kids have been taught what to think and not how to think. 

Archived