SASS Wire Forum

OT - M1 Carbine

I have an M1 carbine made by Saginaw. It's a later model with bayonet lug and adjustible rear sight. It's mounted with sling, oiler, butt cuff with two 15 round magazines and has a 30 round magazines inserted.  Excellent bore, never buffed or sanded.

I'm no expert on carbines but I'm sure it's just as it was when the government released it.

Any help on a range of value for a private sale between individuals?

Cordially,

J.C. Bell, SASS #15217

21 hours ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

I used mine in 3 gun matches, along with a 1911, and model 97

That would certainly be fun, but so would a Garand.  And neither one would be a first choice for a "serious" competitor.  i.e.  You won't see Jerry Miceluk (sp) using either unless he's just having fun or showing off.  For the record, I have NO problem with having fun.  Heck, I wouldn't shoot anything if I wasn't having fun.

Now I'm thinking I'd like to have a Stg 44.  THAT would be fun!  Although I don't know where I'd even get ammo for one.

Angus

On 10/24/2023 at 5:21 PM, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

I used mine in 3 gun matches, along with a 1911, and model 97

The more I think about that the more fun it sounds.  I think, maybe, I could almost justify the purchase of an M-1 Carbine for that.  Almost.  It still doesn't explain the stupid high prices they're going for now.  I think I'd substitute a Model 12 for the '97, tho.  I just like the Model 12 more.  Plus, I already have one.

Angus

• 3 weeks later...

Being from the Great White North, where the government banned the use and sale of AR 15's in 2020 by a simple stroke of the pen, pending confiscation (they call it a "buyback"), I bought my first 1945 Inland  to replace it in 3 gun matches. Followed by a 1944 Winchester and recently a 1943 Inland. The guns run flawlessly with either cast lead bullets of FMJ. I use it at matches that are 100 yards or less, I'm past the days of walking 300-500 yds to check the score from a Garand.

The Carbine is not as ergonomic as the AR, competitive mag pouches are difficult to find ( we are only allowed a 5 rd capacity up here) and parts breakage is more noticeable on 77 year old firearms. I'm past the time, where I'm going to try to win the "pink Cadillac" but I generally go home with "style points" and have a lot of fun. My time with the Carbines may be limited, as the neo Marxist, left wing woke government that the east coast voters  elected up here, apparently thinks these fine relics are a hazard to public safety and will be gunning for them also in the future.

Competition aside, I had two, one in my truck and the other in my wife's car...ten fully loaded thirty round "banana" mags four each and other emergency stuff.  I figured they would suffice in southern California mega-hives.

When my wife died I gave hers to my daughter and later I gave the other one to my son. 

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/11/2023 at 11:04 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Competition aside, I had two, one in my truck and the other in my wife's car...ten fully loaded thirty round "banana" mags four each and other emergency stuff.  I figured they would suffice in southern California mega-hives.

When my wife died I gave hers to my daughter and later I gave the other one to my son. 

I agree that is a good idea, told my son that just the other day.  Back when he was 4 I took him to the CMP south store and he picked out a rack grade underwood.  As he grew he took it hunting and was very accurate with it but it didn’t take the deer down.  Now that he is 18 I told him to use it for his truck gun but he opted to buy a Henry x in 44 instead with money he earned fixing John Deere tractors