SASS Wire Forum

Story about a TN trooper

I was pulled over Wednesday morning by a TN State Trooper. When he came up to the car he asked 'Why are the two boys in the back seat not in car seats?' My answer was the two little boys were my foster sons who I had just got the night before. I showed him paper work and explained to him that when I got them they had the clothes they were wearing and that is about it. No carseat, no toys, no coats, and so on. He was very nice to the kids and to me. He asked me for my phone

number. I gave it to him. His wife called me and asked about the boys. This morning Officer Tidwell met me in Waverly, him and his wife had purchased gifts for the boys. Not just the two boys in the back seat but, their older brother too.

I cannot thank him enough for the kindness he has shown these three boys. I never asked him for anything. He and his wife acted out of the kindness of their hearts. He showed these boys that there are very nice cops out there and I hope he has left a lasting impression on them that cops are good. The boys have been telling everyone that 'cops are nice.' He has made their day. You hear way too much negative stuff now days so, here is some good news for you all."

main-qimg-61a2e51e453b26770ba81e63dd92ab3a

27 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Typical cop.

Gave you a like but the comment did make me laugh.

But even the sheriff who gave me a warning instead of a fixit ticket and a speeding ticket is typical for my experience here in Tennessee.

That was the worst interaction I have had. have had a few others, and I have nothing but good to say for the officers in counties around me.

While I will say they may be different for a local doing stupid stuff with cars during a rod run, when we all know there is a local rod run, I proudly put this plate on one of my cars (a now "out of service" Pursuit):

IMG_0423.thumb.jpeg.7d00a63ac07fa4afb9acc6484bde6ee7.jpeg

They don't just do good work here, they do good here.

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Gave you a like but the comment did make me laugh.

I phrased it that way on purpose. 

Yeah, there are some bad cops out there and usually that tiny percentage is shown in the press as the "typical cop."

But from what I've seen, both in person, hearsay, and the very rare story in the press, this kind of compassion is typical of the vast majority of cops.  Maybe not to this degree, but as you said, giving a warning rather than a Fix It, or maybe taking a few minutes to try to fix a tail light, or buying someone who is hungry a couple of burgers, giving spare socks or shoes to a homeless guy.  

Cops are just like any any other group, there are the good ones the real good ones then the a$$ holes. Unfortunately most all my interactions with cops have been with the last group

On 10/16/2023 at 3:58 PM, The Shoer 27979 said:

Cops are just like any any other group, there are the good ones the real good ones then the a$$ holes.

In any group of close to a million you are going to have some real jerks.  The only ones I've met like that are the ones with the wands as you go into the courthouse*.  And not all of them.  One in particular that stands out, he would look at one person while waving another forward, then yell at the person he was looking at when they started to step forward because he was looking at them.  

*No, I don't make a habit of it.  The only time, other than one Fix-It ticket, that I've been in the courthouse in the last 30 years was for jury duty.

Hey! Mo!  What’re you doin’ in Tennessee??

Yeah! Most LEOs have a real soft spot for kids!  I know my dad did lots of stuff for disadvantaged kids when he was alive and able!

Archived