SASS Wire Forum

SG vs Stage Design: advantage/disad.

Widder, SASS #59054

3 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Thanks JEDI Creeker.

Glad you chimed in and I agree with your assessment.

When you design a stage, do you purposely split SG pairs, such as, shoot 2, MOVE, and shoot 2 more?

..........Widder

If he didn't put them in pairs us SxS shooters would have hung him years ago.  And rest assured, we would NOT have used a new rope. :angry:

Edit:  Sorry, I misread Widder's question.  My statement is accurate non the less.

And, then there are shooters that climb into windows and are indoctrinated to shoot left to right even when they see the right target first. A good shooter will find the free time given to them by the stage writer. A bad shooter, regardless of speed, will not or doesn't realize the time savings. Then, they wonder why that slower (smarter) shooter has a better time. That is why speed events are not a good representation of the best shooters

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Thanks JEDI Creeker.

Glad you chimed in and I agree with your assessment.

When you design a stage, do you purposely split SG pairs, such as, shoot 2, MOVE, and shoot 2 more?

..........Widder

A match is 6 to 12 stages - I tried to offer a variety of SG placements within a match for variety and differing opportunities.

* 4 (6) from one position - targets placed in close proximity.   

This seems to be pretty equal with loading speed/ firing washing out between SxS and 97.

This array offers SxS and 97 shooters the opportunity to demonstrate their ultimate speed without physical movement.

* 4 (6) from one position with two (three) sets of close proximity doubles - this "double placement" set may slightly advantage the SxS.

* 4 (6) from one position with erratic width and distance from firing line placement.  Lots of barrel movement - this "non predictable" set may slightly advantage the 97.

*  4 (6) set in close proximity doubles that require differing positions for each engagement - this "multiple position" set may slightly advantage the SxS

*  4 (6) set in erratic pairs that require differing positions for each engagement - this set may slightly advantage the 97

Etc, etc and so on

Because I am an imperfect match director and because target setting is an imperfect science - I tried to set a variety of these arrays to even each other out IF indeed one set was advantageous over another.  

Same reason that I tried to vary gun orders, direction of movement, hand positions and shooting sequences to include single taps, doubletaps, tripletaps, dumps and specific sweeps to minimize any advantage one given stage may provide to a shooter, propellant, hand dominance or equipment choice.

18 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Post a picture of your sg chamber end.

I have 2 of them tuned by Ken Griner. They are CZ Sharptails and he has cut down the center extractor.

CZ-sharptail4-225x300.jpg20220610_103025.jpg.e03f9ba2eb70981afbf9122e42ce6567.jpg

TM

31 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

I have 2 of them tuned by Ken Griner. They are CZ Sharptails and he has cut down the center extractor.

CZ-sharptail4-225x300.jpg20220610_103025.jpg.e03f9ba2eb70981afbf9122e42ce6567.jpg

TM

Mine has many many thousands of rounds through it and is beat up, but the extractor is shaped in a way that splits the shells for me. I don't have to hit it exact. I've got a half inch play left and right. One thing that may help is what I do when loading. I shoulder the shotgun putting the back of the rib in line with the sg kd with my focus being on the back of the rib right between the 2 chambers. This gives me a place to "aim" the center of the shells and will be where my bead ends up when I close. As I hit the hole, my focus changes to the sg kd. 

I hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Mine has many many thousands of rounds through it and is beat up, but the extractor is shaped in a way that splits the shells for me. I don't have to hit it exact. I've got a half inch play left and right. One thing that may help is what I do when loading. I shoulder the shotgun putting the back of the rib in line with the sg kd with my focus being on the back of the rib right between the 2 chambers. This gives me a place to "aim" the center of the shells and will be where my bead ends up when I close. As I hit the hole, my focus changes to the sg kd. 

I hope this helps!

thanks, I watched Dead Eye Dillards video and have been trying his method of laying them vertical and rolling them in but it hasn't worked for me. I see some grab their shells differently so will be trying some different techniques. Right now I am trying to grab with my index finger across the top and then pull them out of the belt and move them a little so they separate. That has worked somewhat but not totally where I want to be. I have had a few top shooters say I should be able to cut 3 or 4 seconds off my time if I can get it down right.

TM

7 minutes ago, Texas Maverick said:

thanks, I watched Dead Eye Dillards video and have been trying his method of laying they vertical and rolling them in but it hasn't worked for me. I see some grab their shells differently so will be trying some different techniques. Right now I am trying to grab with my index finger across the top and then pull them out of the belt and move them a little so they separate. That has worked somewhat but not totally where I want to be. I have had a few top shooters say I should be able to cut 3 or 4 seconds off my time if I can get it down right.

TM

Yep, the way your extractor is cut will make it harder to roll them in. I roll mine too. The bottom back side of your shells will hit the top of the extractor and stop or slow them down with that sharp edge.

Archived