SASS Wire Forum

We’ve gotten spoiled

Trigger Mike

I was watching the movie “Convoy”.  A crooked sheriff fines them on the side of the road and later with other officers tries to beat them up.  Further on he does beat up one of them.  These days cops do a lot less and get arrested and charged even if defending themselves.  

I recall even when I was an officer we still had some who carried a slapjack and used it.  If an officer was in a chase, some of the older officers would get ahead and shoot them as they went by or pull up beside them and shoot at them with a pistol or shotgun.  An old trooper climbed in the back seat and cold cocked a prisoner who robbed coin machines after a deputy shot his car with a shotgun to get him to stop.  

back when convoy was made interest rates were much higher than now and yet at 7.5 percent mortgage folks have a fit.  My first home loan was higher than that.  I thought I was doing good too.  These days folks cry because car loans are 8 percent .  All these years of near zero interest rates have made folks forget what normal rates feel like.  Folks beating and killing cops have set back police relations decades.  Folks have forgotten how brutal cops can be and used to be.  If the pendulum swings , how will people adjust?

Yep, just a movie but I recall folks all over got a CB radio and walkie talkie and thought they were truckers and asked for bear reports etc .  I recall back then cops were always shown as mean or incompetent and it took years to fix it to where cops were properly portrayed.  It took longer for citizens to respect them.  

we were there until black lives matter et Al was allowed by the government to grow.  Now we are back like we were in the 60s and 70s.  Once that pendulum swings back a lot of people will be surprised.  Just as 7.5 percent interest rates surprised many.  If oil was cheaper then inflation drops and rates can stop rising but since we stopped supplying the world with our oil , opec is doing what they did in the 70s causing the price to rise.  The pendulum will swing again.

Half of doctors are below average as are cops :-)

Do you know what they call the person that finishes last in his class at medical school.  MD ... not caboose or lantern rouge.

Tough job made tougher by the political environment we are in.

today they cannot chase even when in a serious situation , lets just let the criminals run wild shall we ? im so sick of all the defund crap and the crime , i know several LEOs that are counting down the days to retirement 

Being a cop in these defund cities is akin to being a resident in CA.
One knows they REALLY should pack up and leave, but there are so many extenuating circumstances that make leaving very difficult.

Short term we can not leave our homes/jobs but longer term we can.  Cities are not all that needed anymore.

I knew I was going to leave NJ when I retired.  California is pretty and plenty is still 'country' but you have to look at the total picture.

There are plenty of sources that rate places for quality of life.  When you have some $ you have some freedom....I'm not moving to Detroit :-)

On 9/27/2023 at 10:11 PM, Trigger Mike said:

I was watching the movie “Convoy”.  A crooked sheriff fines them on the side of the road and later with other officers tries to beat them up.  Further on he does beat up one of them.  These days cops do a lot less and get arrested and charged even if defending themselves.  

I recall even when I was an officer we still had some who carried a slapjack and used it.  If an officer was in a chase, some of the older officers would get ahead and shoot them as they went by or pull up beside them and shoot at them with a pistol or shotgun.  An old trooper climbed in the back seat and cold cocked a prisoner who robbed coin machines after a deputy shot his car with a shotgun to get him to stop.  

back when convoy was made interest rates were much higher than now and yet at 7.5 percent mortgage folks have a fit.  My first home loan was higher than that.  I thought I was doing good too.  These days folks cry because car loans are 8 percent .  All these years of near zero interest rates have made folks forget what normal rates feel like.  Folks beating and killing cops have set back police relations decades.  Folks have forgotten how brutal cops can be and used to be.  If the pendulum swings , how will people adjust?

i remember the carter years , my mortgage was 12% and the credit cards were 25-28% , nothing could ever look that bad again .....till we get it again and they are working on it , the past years of very low interest rates has scared me into no debt thinking , im old , i know how bad it can be from past life and how bad inflation is and can make it in current life 

Archived