SASS Wire Forum

Shoutout to S & W

Trigger Mike

I got an email from Smith and Wesson about their new M & P 22 magnum pistol.  I got to try it out today.   After 50 rounds of CCI fmj and 30 rounds of Hornady critical defense in the Two 30 round magazines it came with, there were ZERO jams and it is an accurate pistol.  I like it. 

Another neat thing only the criminals will see and own in Canada.

The law abiding subjec citizen cannot obtain one now.

Support your NRA and your 2A rights. 

It wasn't in our Constitution and now legal property owners are paying the price.

Where .is it, in your opinion  compared to the yodel,Model 41?

I haven’t tried the model 41 .  I will add that it functions really smooth.  Negligible recoil . The receiver and mags are plastic but not cheap plastic.  It is super light and thin compared to a M & P in 40 cal , and it has a spot for an optic on top and flashlight underneath.  It reminds me of the m & p competition 9mm in looks almost the way the slide looks.  

they took their 5.7 pistol and made adjustments to make it work for 22 mag.  

i shot at steel targets and had a hard time hearing the ping but could see the paint coming off the steel with each shot in a good group.  

I also shot at the package the ammo came in and the first round sent it into tall grass. 

Comparing the Kel Tec to the S&W I can see a couple of things that I like on the S&W much more that the Kel Tec.

1. Mag release - The Kel Tec is at the heel of the grip (European) where the S&W is more American traditional and is located on the grip near the trigger guard. 
2. Grip texture - The Kel Tec is smooth with texture squares(?). The S&W appears to have a more tactile grip. 

I have a Kel Tec CP33. It has the same grip as the PMR30. I am buying a Talon Grip overlay to put on the grip so it’s a more positive feel. If my hands were wet the KT grip would be slick. 

The Kel Tec PMR 30

image.thumb.jpeg.c84c8e5c450967f77c1413e3c31c83bb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.bb939a73ca0fd16daa8320fde5e3e9bc.jpeg

S&W .22 Magnum 

IMG_7251.thumb.webp.ecd0f72e34b9f443f055a1d75cef13ea.webp

IMG_7252.thumb.webp.c596cdb3aef6fdb6ea91abe7e361391d.webp

S&W Model 41 is a superb quality traditional target pistol.  It had a few peers back in the day, but choosing the 41 or one of the others was usually a matter of personal preference.  There are a few European target pistols that may have surpassed it, but I have not had occasion to try one.  No way comparable to any plastic fantastic.

I considered the kel-tech for years but just didn’t like it enough to buy it.  I also considered the rock island 1911 in 22 mag but it says to only fire silver brassed ammo and don’t call us about jams until 500 rounds, so didn’t buy it, but I held the Smith in my hand and knew.  Plus their manual says not to use copper coated ammo due to fouling but normal ammo is fine , which is what I have for my ruger bolt action rifle anyway.  Plus S and W usually does a good job.

I stopped at a gun store in PA today. They had that S&W in stock for $599.I didn’t actually see one but I saw the price on a sign as I was leaving the store.  

I now have 2 of each. My Kel-Tecs PMRs that have been upgraded with the M-Carbo bundle kits including the billet feed ramp. That kit fixes everything and the Kel-Tecs run like sewing machines with all ammo now. I have only shot one of the Smiths but it is very very good. They perfected the mags and they feed everything right out of the box except (see below). The PMR mags need to be loaded carefully and with a loader or you'll cross over the rims of the case or start denting them when the mags get full. The S&Ws are very easy to hand load all the way to 30.  Recoil is a little lighter in the Smith due to Smith's Tempo barrel, but that's not saying much with the 22 mag round. You can rapid fire the PMR and group a tennis ball at 15 yards with no problem. The smith does get a lot dirtier a lot more quickly that the PMRs with the Temp barrel and I was noticing it starting to get sluggish near the 300rd mark but not enough yet to effect function. The grip textures on both are different but are nothing to note on which is better. The smith looks good but they are both comfortable for their size and neither slip in your hand. Accuracy is equal on both as well as cyclic rate. They both go through ammo really really really fast.

The PMR has a new operator frame mount for an RDS optic. It is a little bulky but does not interfere with the operation like the aftermarket slide mounts they have for them. Holsters could be an issue but M-Carbo does sell one in RH only if you buy their mount. The Smith has a slide mount. I mounted my Holosun EPS carry and 507K on the slide and was getting failure to feed issues routinely. I think those optics are a tad to heavy for it at that point. I swapped those out with the Sig Romeo Zero, its polymer framed and very light, and the problem seems to have gone away so keep that in mind if your going to go with an optic.

I bought both of the Kel-Tecs on a close out for $299 each because they were the blue colored model. (I promptly Cerecoated mine, but IMO the blue really wasn't that bad). With the deal I got on them and the full M-Carbo kit I have about $650 into each of them (You also do not need the entire M-Carbo bundle kit several of their parts will do the trick, the other stuff is just gun candy). You can get a black PMR for $400 and the billet feed ramp, buffer, spring, block, and new mag catch for $165. The Smith is selling at $599 so cost is similar overall. I have approximately 3500 rds through my upgraded Kel-tec PMRs without a hitch and don't regret them at all. They shoot awesome and are 2 of my favorite guns in my paddock. I shot 300 rounds through the smith the day I got it and I really like it. The mag release is a huge improvement and the mags themselves are the best...so much easier to load than the PMRs. Which one would I pick? I will not be getting rid of my PMRs, but I think the edge goes to the new Smith only because of the mag release and loading. Other than that IMO they are very comparable. 

YMMV

JEL

Archived