SASS Wire Forum

Bicycle vs Black Bear

Alpo

17 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Got lucky.

That bear sure was. :D

I wonder if the bicyclist yelled or made any noise to try and warn the bear away. 

29 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

Sorry,that biker seemed like an idiot. See how he was riding no hands for the cameras....I'm rooting for the bear

As I said, got lucky. That much stupidity usually costs more.

What's wrong with riding with no hands? I used to do that all the time. I still would if I still could, but 40 years or so of not riding a bike and I seem to have forgotten how to do that.

There's an old saying "don't poke the bear" if you don't want trouble.  Seems like a better version, maybe something like "stay way away from the bear, dumbass."

I lived in bear country several times in my life.  I love bears, but I don't get too close to them because they are nearly indestructible, faster by far than they look, temperamental and unpredictable, and deadly.....and they are NEVER completely tame.

I have been lucky to have had only one close encounter with a bear, a female black bear and after  thirty-five foot face to face staring contest I think she decided I simply was not worth her trouble.  Good thing, too because I was fully armed with 3" Buck pocket knife. 

Archived