SASS Wire Forum

Got my Pedersoli Sharps rifle!

Mysterious Stranger

i think=k anyone that decides to shoot the sharps will enjoy the experience , mine is also a Quigley and although ive not gotten around to shooting it every opportunity i have enjoyed it on those ive taken advantage of , i have had more fun developing my loads , chrono'ing them , and adjusting them for nothing more than the range experiences , its just a fun rifle to shoot no matter what , 

i got a  lot of loading to do in the next year , i think ill enjoy that as well , 

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Mines a step down from the Pedersoli a Chiappa 1874 Sharps Sporting rifle 45-70 32"   ....... but jeez I like this rifle!!

Capture.thumb.JPG.b87dd9e432744381e2cb873785064efe.JPG

ry5.JPG.a3b4bba1e06c435f214ea242b8be95da.JPG

That rifle brings out the frontier in a man!

My home range is limited to 200 yards, so that's the distance I try to do my shooting.

Tough on this old codgers knees to get down to the end berm to hang targets, with my knees though and the steel targets, frames and shrouding can't be left out, since some others think it's OK to shoot FMJ at it.

My Sharps: 1874 "SHARPS" by Pedersoli, in .45-70. Double set triggers, Mid-range Soule tang sight with a Hadley eye piece and a Globe front sight.

Sharps are sold by the pound.

1874 Sharps (Pedersoli) close-up side view 013 (3).JPG

1874 Sharps (Pedersoli) with vernier sight and Hadley eyepiece 013 (2).JPG

Going to give mine a workout tomorrow. 

I want to be at the Cowboy range facility to "Observe" and take some pictures for our website, of the new construction starting.

I did the observation thing last evening, since both my revolvers are at the gunsmith getting their sexy new front sights installed. The new sights have a very desirable feature: They are wide enough for me to actually SEE. :)

Our group shoots our "Buffalo Rifle Match" at shrouded steel 100 and 200 yards, the limit our range is currently allowed.

It's a three position event: Normally 10 rounds Prone; 10 rounds Sitting or Kneeling, with sticks and 5 rounds Standing, rifle unsupported.

Smokeless or Holy Black. 

10 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Our group shoots our "Buffalo Rifle Match" at shrouded steel 100 and 200 yards, the limit our range is currently allowed.

It's a three position event: Normally 10 rounds Prone; 10 rounds Sitting or Kneeling, with sticks and 5 rounds Standing, rifle unsupported.

Smokeless or Holy Black. 

I am pleasantly surprised at your group's apparent tolerance for the godless "smokeless"! So many blackpowder shooters look down at those of us who shoot smokeless! Even Mike Venturino in his "Buffalo Rifles" book expresses his deep distaste for smokeless, and practically apologizes for shooting it "before he knew better". It's like Apple Mac users used to either pity or malign PC users! :)

For us, it's that or we get even fewer shooters out to compete.

We also have a section for Main Match Rifles at 100 yards, to encourage a better turn out.

4 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

For us, it's that or we get even fewer shooters out to compete.

We also have a section for Main Match Rifles at 100 yards, to encourage a better turn out.

Both ideas are smart. Both bring out more shooters AND also encourage shooters to shoot in BOTH categories!

Jim G

1 hour ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

I am pleasantly surprised at your group's apparent tolerance for the godless "smokeless"! So many blackpowder shooters look down at those of us who shoot smokeless! Even Mike Venturino in his "Buffalo Rifles" book expresses his deep distaste for smokeless, and practically apologizes for shooting it "before he knew better". It's like Apple Mac users used to either pity or malign PC users! :)

Smokeless is just a passing fad :ph34r: ;) :D

At my age, I'm tired when I get home and cleaning two SAAs, a rifle and a shotgun to avoid having them rust out too quickly, is now off the table.

I used to be a SOOT LORD, shooting HOLY BLACK but those days are now long in the past.

I still miss the BOOM and the clouds of great smelling smoke as it drives off the mosquitoes and black flies, but I leave that to the young guns now.

10 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

i also shoot smokeless , nothing wrong with coming into the new century even if its the last one , 

i do not disdain the BP , i simply choose not to go that direction currently , i may in the future if i can still find it to buy , 

Archived