SASS Wire Forum

Got my Pedersoli Sharps rifle!

Mysterious Stranger

I managed to buy my Pedersoli Sharps yesterday, and even got a really good deal on it:

PedersoliSharpsHunterrifle-1.thumb.jpeg.2a16c8de73f46b7b219ee617cda0cd5c.jpeg

It's the Pedersoli Sharps "Hunter" model, which is the now discontinued lowest priced Pedersoli Sharps model, that has none of the fancier features of some of the more costly models. In the U.S., it is still available at a price of about $1900, but it recently disappeared from the Pedersoli website. In Canada, these are pretty rare. But Cabela's Canada in Calgary, about 220km = 136 miles from where I live, had ONE in actual inventory, but they actually needed to verify that it was actually at that store before I could buy it.

I really did not want to spend a lot of money on another rifle right now, but I had one lever rifle whose condition a selling dealer had misrepresented to me that I did not want to keep, and my wife encouraged me to jump on this Pedersoli because if its anomalous Cabela's Canadian price. In The U.S., Cabela's advertises this model at the regular U.S. price of $1900, which is about $2600 Canadian at the current currency exchange rate. But for some reason, here in Canada, Pedersoli rifles are sold at about that same amount, or lower, paid in Canadian, not U.S. dollars, despite the fact that the Canadian dollar = only $0.74 US. That makes these Pedersol rifles a REAL bargain. This specific rifle model in fact has been advertised on Cabela's Canadian website at $1780 Canadian, which is about 1/3 less than in The U.S., for at least the few weeks that I have been looking at Pedersoli Sharps rifles, and incredibly, no one else has bought it! So, I drove up to Calgary, traded in a lever rifle I did not want to keep, and got back into Cowboy Action long range side match shooting at the lowest possible cost!

The Pedersoli Sharps models are apparently not as finely finished as the U.S. made "Shiloh" and "C-Sharps" models, but the prices for those are in the "several thousands" category even in The U.S., and so importing one into Canada would be, for me, ridiculously unaffordable as a retiree.

The Pedersoli rifles, which are made in Italy, have an awesome reputation among knowledgeable shooters that like to shoot "Old West Buffalo rifles". They are very high quality, machined from forged metal, with "progressive" broached rifling that becomes a thou or two smaller in diameter from the breech to the muzzle, apparently to facilitate use of the largest diameter bullets to improve bullet sealing in the rifling and avoid leading. All the models come with the typical rifle blade front sights and barrel mounted rear leaf sights with elevator ramps, but ALL models are drilled and tapped to accept multiple brands and sizes of "Creedmoor" vernier peep ladder sights and front tunnel sights with interchangeable inserts, for those 500 to 1000 yard shots these rifles are capable of making.

I had a different Pedersoli - a Rolling Block" model - a couple of decades ago, and at a national SASS match in Cody Wyoming, I successfully shot a full-size steel buffalo profile at 500 yards = 1500 feet with a good set of sights on it. It was a treat calculating the required rear sight setting, aligning the sight picture, taking the shots, and waiting about a full second for the 1350 fps muzzle velocity 405g bullet to reach and "clang" the target, and then waiting another second or more for the "clang" sound to be transmitted back to me! (Sound travels at only about 1100 fps).

So, this "Plain Jane" model can be equipped with aftermarket items to perform just as well as the prettier much more costly models ($3000 US or so). So I have a great foundation to build on. I will be looking for a good deal on new or used MVA or Shaver or other highest quality rear sight and front tunnel kits.

And this Sharps Hunter model has a couple of specific features I particularly like: a pistol grip stock, a 30" barrel, a hefty weight of 10.5 lb before adding the aftermarket sights, a full octagon barrel, and a "Shotgun" butt plate instead of the more typical "concave curved" butt plate (I find the shotgun butt plate much more comfortable when firing some of the heavier loads). And the dual set trigger has an amazingly low trigger pull and is very crisp.

This is a rifle I will not be foolish enough to sell or trade off.

Very nice!! Sounds like you got a great deal as well. Congrats, it will be a fun rifle!

I have owned and shot pedersoli sharps rifles for many years and have never been disappointed with their accuracy or appearance, great rifles from a great company!

nice looking rifle - congrats , i think you will like it a lot , be picky about your upgrades , i wasnt on my rear sight and will be reinvesting down the road a little , i hate spending money twice but i wasnt picky enough with mine , 

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

nice looking rifle - congrats , i think you will like it a lot , be picky about your upgrades , i wasnt on my rear sight and will be reinvesting down the road a little , i hate spending money twice but i wasnt picky enough with mine , 

Understood! It's a common problem that I will try to avoid!

I have their Quigley Model and have won state level Long-Range Matches with it.  But the 32-inch bull barrel is tending to get a little heavy for me after multiple shots as I am now in my middle 70s.

38 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I have their Quigley Model and have won state level Long-Range Matches with it.  But the 32-inch bull barrel is tending to get a little heavy for me after multiple shots as I am now in my middle 70s.

Yeah, I understand. You are not supposed to place the cross-sticks under the barrel itself because it affects the harmonics during firing, but rather the forestock, and that heavy barrel extends a LONG way past the forestock!

Stranger,

Resting the barrel on the cross-sticks is the way to go.  Accuracy, kind of like a long barreled pistol versus a short one. The forearm is attached to the barrel anyway. I could see interrupting the harmonies on a free floating forearm, but, it isn’t.

4-5” rest point below the muzzle, just so that you’re gun doesn’t fall or the sticks or damage to the front sight.

Uriah

Mysterious Stranger: I have a Pedersoli as well.

You're going to like the rifle. 

As you mention, get yourself a good tang sight and Globe front sight, with inserts, when you can.

I've thinned my herd of .45-70s a little, but the Sharps is a keeper. (Barring Justin deciding it's dangerous and lumping it in with the banned AR-15 platforms)

How is the availability of brass in GOD's Country?

23 minutes ago, Uriah, SASS # 53822 said:

Stranger,

Resting the barrel on the cross-sticks is the way to go.  Accuracy, kind of like a long barreled pistol versus a short one. The forearm is attached to the barrel anyway. I could see interrupting the harmonies on a free floating forearm, but, it isn’t.

4-5” rest point below the muzzle, just so that you’re gun doesn’t fall or the sticks or damage to the front sight.

Uriah

Are you SURE  that the forearm actually contacts the barrel on the Pedersoli enough to put pressure on it? I have not looked that closely on how the forearm actually contacts the barrel.

17 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Mysterious Stranger: I have a Pedersoli as well.

You're going to like the rifle. 

As you mention, get yourself a good tang sight and Globe front sight, with inserts, when you can.

I've thinned my herd of .45-70s a little, but the Sharps is a keeper. (Barring Justin deciding it's dangerous and lumping it in with the banned AR-15 platforms)

How is the availability of brass in GOD's Country?

The availability of brass is NIL here in  Alberta. I just asked a shooter I know if he can spare some of his for me.

don’t scrimp on sights! MVA or Kelley. I acquired one rifle that had Pedersoli sights, after a short while I changed them out for Kelley. 

My sharps recipe

535 grn postell bullet

25 grns 5744

federal primer

starline brass 

200 yd target

IMG_0078.thumb.jpeg.d6767a0b2b65f2edc1f918ad74209103.jpeg

Stranger,

My Shiloh Sharps 1874 has 2 screws securing the to blocks under the barrel. There is no give in the barrel blocks, it might has well be screwed directly in the barrel. A lot of the single shots follow this pattern (Ruger #1 is the only exception that comes to mind).

ONLY if the rifle tends to string shots (taking a lot of shooting), it can be relieved where the forearm meets the receiver.

Uriah

44 minutes ago, Hoss said:

don’t scrimp on sights! MVA or Kelley. I acquired one rifle that had Pedersoli sights, after a short while I changed them out for Kelley. 

My sharps recipe

535 grn postell bullet

25 grns 5744

federal primer

starline brass 

200 yd target

IMG_0078.thumb.jpeg.d6767a0b2b65f2edc1f918ad74209103.jpeg

Nice shooting, Hoss. Looks like that is a good load to test in my rifle (starting with a bit lower powder lload and working up, of course)! Thank-you for sharing both the load and the photo.

43 minutes ago, Uriah, SASS # 53822 said:

Stranger,

My Shiloh Sharps 1874 has 2 screws securing the to blocks under the barrel. There is no give in the barrel blocks, it might has well be screwed directly in the barrel. A lot of the single shots follow this pattern (Ruger #1 is the only exception that comes to mind).

ONLY if the rifle tends to string shots (taking a lot of shooting), it can be relieved where the forearm meets the receiver.

Uriah

Ok, thank-you for clarifying that for me!

I have shot in several SASS Competitions with my Quigley and they are all stand and shoot off-hand.  The only shoot I have been to that allows sticks is the Kentucky State Match.  Thus, the heavy barrel is still getting heavier for me.

19 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

I have shot in several SASS Competitions with my Quigley and they are all stand and shoot off-hand.  The only shoot I have been to that allows sticks is the Kentucky State Match.  Thus, the heavy barrel is still getting heavier for me.

OUCH! That WOULD be tough to hold steady after just a few rounds!

The number of rounds to be fired vary with the competition location.  Some are 5 rds, WV is 7 rds, and some require 10 rounds.

13 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

The number of rounds to be fired vary with the competition location.  Some are 5 rds, WV is 7 rds, and some require 10 rounds.

How much TIME is allowed to take all the shots within?

In F Class long range shooting, you have only a few minutes to fire the entire string. And if the wind is gusting, that makes it hard to do so! And F Class is fired from PRONE!

1 hour ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

How much TIME is allowed to take all the shots within?

Differs from one shoot to another.  If you read the rules in the SASS Shooter's Handbook, that's all the information you'll find consistent from one SASS match to the next.  All your other questions need to be directed to the specific match official.

1 hour ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

In F Class long range shooting, you have only a few minutes to fire the entire string. And if the wind is gusting, that makes it hard to do so! And F Class is fired from PRONE!

Absolutely a non-sequitor.  No comparison.  Again, varies by location.  If you shoot SASS Long Range, you can forget everything about other disciplines, except where it coincides with SASS rules, ala:  Buffalo rifle and optics.  Ranges will vary from "here to there"... apply whatever numbers you like for "here" and "there".  

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

Differs from one shoot to another.  If you read the rules in the SASS Shooter's Handbook, that's all the information you'll find consistent from one SASS match to the next.  All your other questions need to be directed to the specific match official.

Absolutely a non-sequitor.  No comparison.  Again, varies by location.  If you shoot SASS Long Range, you can forget everything about other disciplines, except where it coincides with SASS rules, ala:  Buffalo rifle and optics.  Ranges will vary from "here to there"... apply whatever numbers you like for "here" and "there".  

Wow. That makes things really interesting. No boredom for sure.

50 minutes ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

Wow. That makes things really interesting. No boredom for sure.

Yep, Long Range at a SASS event is either for the well-informed, or the well-heeled to cover the gamut offered sometimes.  Last time I went to EOT, I took something like 29 guns... for the main match, backups, various side matches and long range.  That was just for myself.  Let's no talk about the amount of ammo...;)

21 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

Yeah, I understand. You are not supposed to place the cross-sticks under the barrel itself because it affects the harmonics during firing, but rather the forestock, and that heavy barrel extends a LONG way past the forestock!

I find the null point in the barrel, put a small piece of tape at that point on the barrel.  When you use sticks put the barrel on the sticks at that point. 

When I shot Bench-Rest Matches one has so much time to fire your rounds.  The 1000 Yards matches differ from the 600-yard, Ground Hog, or the .22 Matches with the amount of time allowed and the number of shots to be fired.

In SASS Long-Range Matches most events score the match on the number of hits in the least amount of time.  If the competition calls for ten rounds and one hits the target ten times and no one else hits the target ten times, you are the winner.  If others hit the target ten times, then the winner is determined by the one who hit the target ten times in the least amount of time.  There are different ways to decide ties.  One is to have a shoot off between the tying shooters.

SASS is quite different from Bench-Rest Shooting.

9 hours ago, Griff said:

Yep, Long Range at a SASS event is either for the well-informed, or the well-heeled to cover the gamut offered sometimes.  Last time I went to EOT, I took something like 29 guns... for the main match, backups, various side matches and long range.  That was just for myself.  Let's no talk about the amount of ammo...;)

Wow again! With 29 firearms on-site at a match, the total value of your "portable armoury" would make it a target for a thief, whether at the match, in the vehicle, or at your hotel room!

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I find the null point in the barrel, put a small piece of tape at that point on the barrel.  When you use sticks put the barrel on the sticks at that point. 

You find the null point by "ringing" the barrel at different points along it length by striking it with a small rubber-tipped  drifting hammer until you find where the "ringing" is minimal? Or?

17 minutes ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

When I shot Bench-Rest Matches one has so much time to fire your rounds.  The 1000 Yards matches differ from the 600-yard, Ground Hog, or the .22 Matches with the amount of time allowed and the number of shots to be fired.

In SASS Long-Range Matches most events score the match on the number of hits in the least amount of time.  If the competition calls for ten rounds and one hits the target ten times and no one else hits the target ten times, you are the winner.  If others hit the target ten times, then the winner is determined by the one who hit the target ten times in the least amount of time.  There are different ways to decide ties.  One is to have a shoot off between the tying shooters.

SASS is quite different from Bench-Rest Shooting.

Yes, and it sounds like a lot of FUN!

5 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

You find the null point by "ringing" the barrel at different points along it length by striking it with a small rubber-tipped  drifting hammer until you find where the "ringing" is minimal? Or?

I dust the top flat of the barrel with talcum powder and fire a round of my match ammo standing unsupported with nothing touching the barrel. The powder creates a pattern like this: >>>>><<<<< in at least one spot, but longer barrels sometimes have two. Where the powder pattern reverses is the sweet spot. 

2 minutes ago, Noah Mercy, SASS #29066 said:

I dust the top flat of the barrel with talcum powder and fire a round of my match ammo standing unsupported with nothing touching the barrel. The powder creates a pattern like this: >>>>><<<<< in at least one spot, but longer barrels sometimes have two. Where the powder pattern reverses is the sweet spot. 

Wow! THAT is an impressive technique. HOW did you ever figure that one up??

Amazing, the tricks and tips to be garnered on this forum.

8 hours ago, Mysterious Stranger said:

Yes I use a small rubber hammer and tap along the barrel and keep going back and forth until you find the place where the tone changes.  I’ve never heard of the way @Noah Mercy, SASS #29066 described but it sounds like fun, I might try it. 

On 5/19/2023 at 1:37 PM, Mysterious Stranger said:

Wow! THAT is an impressive technique. HOW did you ever figure that one up??

Oh, I'm not nearly clever enough to come up with that...learned it from a local fella' who won a couple Quigley matches. 

Archived