SASS Wire Forum

HERE IS YOUR WAR, by Ernie Pyle

Alpo

https://www.fadedpage.com/showbook.php?pid=20230517

Free download

A wonderful and enduring tribute to American troops in the Second World War, Here Is Your War is Ernie Pyle’s story of the soldiers’ first campaign against the enemy in North Africa. With unequaled humanity and insight, Pyle tells how people from a cross-section of America—ranches, inner cities, small mountain farms, and college towns—learned to fight a war. The Allied campaign and ultimate victory in North Africa was built on blood, brave deeds, sacrifice and needless loss, exotic vistas, endurance, homesickness, and an unmistakable American sense of humor. It’s all here—the suspenseful landing at Oran; the risks taken daily by fighter and bomber pilots; grim, unrelenting combat in the desert and mountains of Tunisia; a ferocious tank battle that ended in defeat for the inexperienced Americans; and the final victory at Tunis. Pyle’s keen observations relate the full story of ordinary G.I.s caught up in extraordinary times.

I bought an original copy at a used book store in the 1960s.  I read it over and over again for years.  Unfortunately, I have lost track of that book.  I've downloaded this from the link to my Kindle and as a PDF file to my computer.

Thank you, Alpo.

1 hour ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I bought an original copy at a used book store in the 1960s.  I read it over and over again for years.  Unfortunately, I have lost track of that book.  I've downloaded this from the link to my Kindle and as a PDF file to my computer.

Thank you, Alpo.

Did you notice? He has three books on that site.

https://www.fadedpage.com/csearch.php?author=Pyle, Ernie

18 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Did you notice? He has three books on that site.

https://www.fadedpage.com/csearch.php?author=Pyle, Ernie

Did now.  Downloaded all three.

If you have never seen it, the movie "The Story of G.I. Joe" is a must.  Burgess Meredith plays Ernie Pyle with Robert Mitchum, in his only Academy Award nominated role.  The film debuted shortly after Pyle was killed in the Pacific theater.  Actual serving soldiers were used in the film, with much of the dialogue taken from Pyle's columns.

I have original hardback copies of Mauldin's Up Front and Back home, both pries of my collection.

The day I was commission my dad gave me a framed copy of a Mauldin cartoon, Willie on the left, Joe on the right, and a Lieutenant in the middle.... playing cards in a bunker.  They are all dirty and looking exhausted.

Caption: Willie is asking. "By th' way, what was them changes  you wuz gonna make when you took over last month, sir?"

Dad told me, "Hang this where you can see it every day and read it to keep you humble."

I did.  Don't know what ever became of it, probably got lost in one of out many moves.

Archived