SASS Wire Forum

38LC vs 38sp vs 38SC

B Dandy

I've ordered some 1851 Navy open tops in 38sp but have been thinking about shooting 38LC or 38SC in them. I've shot a lot of 38sp but never been around long or short colts. Does anyone have experience with the other calibers and have any pros and cons? My thinking behind it is, open tops are weaker since they lack the top strap. I know 38sp isn't an especially hot round and would be completely fine in the pistols. I just figured 38LC or SC might be even less wear on the guns. Is the pressure significantly less for long and short colts than the specials?

Pressure depends entirely on how you load them.  Weak .38 Special load vs. hot .38LC load for example.  I use the .38LC loaded with BP in Open Tops to make sure I do not mix  up some .38 Special loads loaded with BP and other loads loaded with smokeless.  Other than that a puss loaded .38 Special and a puss loaded .38LC are not going to be too much different if the bullet weight and velocity are the same.

• B Dandy changed the title to 38LC vs 38sp vs 38SC
2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Pressure depends entirely on how you load them.  Weak .38 Special load vs. hot .38LC load for example.  I use the .38LC loaded with BP in Open Tops to make sure I do not mix  up some .38 Special loads loaded with BP and other loads loaded with smokeless.

That makes sense. I changed the title because I was also considering short colts. I don't load very hot loads anyway, but thought I'd explore my options.

It is the weight of the bullet and the power behind it.

Since the barrel is pinned to the arbor, every time a bullet enters the barrel, it tries to pull the arbor out of the frame.

So, if you use light bullets and a relatively low energy load, you will put less stress on the arbor-frame connection, and the gun will have less of a tendency to "shoot loose".

At least that's my theory, based on 40 years of cap-n-ball gun shooting.

Don't try to make these into "Magnums"

I shoot 15 grains of real BP and a 125 grain pill in mine.

--Dawg 

5 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

It is the weight of the bullet and the power behind it.

Since the barrel is pinned to the arbor, every time a bullet enters the barrel, it tries to pull the arbor out of the frame.

So, if you use light bullets and a relatively low energy load, you will put less stress on the arbor-frame connection, and the gun will have less of a tendency to "shoot loose".

At least that's my theory, based on 40 years of cap-n-ball gun shooting.

Don't try to make these into "Magnums"

I shoot 15 grains of real BP and a 125 grain pill in mine.

--Dawg 

I also shoot 125s but that's another thing I was thinking about was possibly shooting 105s.

Never shot 105s, but I think that would be good.
I've shot a truckload of 36 caliber round balls over the years, and they weigh only a few grains less than a 105, and they do the job at CAS distances.

--Dawg

There is way more load data for 38 special than there is for 38 Longs or 38 shorts.

As others have said it's not the case but the weight of the bullet and is velocity that matter.

keep in mind that all rimmed cartridges are not designed with the same rim thickness - it can change headspace allowances , that said ive not studdied these , but i do mave revolvers designed for each of the 38spcl , 38lc and 38sc - i guess i need to look close , i always use the correct one in each , just because someone says they are interchangeable does not make them right - might want to look close before doing it as well as all of the above 

The only thing about Short and Long Colts is what is the bore size in the gun you are shooting them in?

Originally, these calibers used a heel based bullet with a bore for .375".  Later, the the bullet was changed to an in the case one, and the bore reduced to .357".  Now, if you have a "big bore" you don't need to shoot heel based bullets.  If you can find .358" pure lead hollow based bullets, they will go down the smaller bore just fine, and expand to engage the rifling on the larger ones.  Since I have guns chambered for .38 Long Colt with bore sizes, I use this bullet for everything in those calibers.  That way I can use them in "big bore" .38's, small bore, .38's and even use the ammo in .38 Specials and .357 Magnums if I need or want to.

I am unsure of the bore size on the modern replicas of .36 Cap and Ball revolver conversions.

Buffalo Arms makes a nice bullet like this that is lubed with something that can be used for smokeless or black powder.  It's a bit pricey, but worth it.  Especially since I don't shoot the guns that require the ammo all that often.  This bullet can also be used with .38 S&W to good effect, BTW.

The 38 spl is the most commonly used round in SASS.  If you use 38 SC or LC, you will invariably get 38 spl. mixed in to your empty brass.  If you have a progressive press, you will be constantly turning a stray 38 spl. into a funnel and wasting a primer.  38 spl. is probably the cheapest brass to come by and can be downloaded to very light loads.  There really is no advantage to using 38 SC or LC if the gun will shoot 38 spl.   Just my thoughts.

Archived