SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Cowboy Action shotgun loads with Hodgdon Longshot

Rootin Tootin Dan

Any body have an idea how much Hodgdon Longshot powder to use for a cowboy action shotgun load?  I am new to reloading and ran out of green dot late last year.  I impulse bought a can of Hodgdon Longshot today and when I got home and looked it up on their website they didn't have any reloading data for loads less than 1 1/8 shot.  If I was loading 1 1/8 oz shot, 30 grains of powder would give me about 1420 FPS.  My WAG method of thinking says I should start low around 20 grains and see what happens.  But then again I really don't want to blow my face off with an exploding shotgun.  Any suggestions?

Winchester AA shells, WAA12SL wads, 1 oz #7.5 lead shot, and Winchester 209 primers is the rest of the recipe.

When I was loading 12 ga. I was using Winchester Super Target.  When I bought a 10 ga. I couldn't find any loads for that powder, but there was loading data for Longshot

powder.

Horace

Longshot absolutely sucks for what you want.  It is for heavy hunting loads.  A friend bought some thinking like you and it was horrible for light loads.  He had to give up on it for cowboy loads.

Just got home so I will add a bit.  If you look at the Longshot loading data none of the loads are below 1 1/8 oz, none are below 9,000 psi and none are below 1,400 fps.  Longshot is NOT suitable for light cowboy loads.  You cannot WAG smokeless powder.

Buy TiteGroup.  It's available at most shops and on-line.   Shotgun loads are now published for it.  It works well in pistol cartridges (but it leaves the brass very hot).

Longshot is just way too slow a shotgun powder for light cowboy type shotgun shells.  Fine for heavy lead or even steel hunting loads, though.  I'd guess It will not even push a load out the barrel consistently if you try to load 20 grains.  Not worth trying when TiteGroup is easily available.

good luck, GJ

Well this isn't the news I was hoping for but very appreciated.  On the brighter side, I was playing around on the Hodgdon reload data site and found that Longshot can be used for 38 spl and 357 mag which I also reload.  Not a total loss after all.

On 4/1/2023 at 6:03 AM, Rootin Tootin Dan said:

Well this isn't the news I was hoping for but very appreciated.

Gotta use DOPE, not HOPE.   As in, reloading data from published sources, or experienced fellow Cowboy reloaders.

:) good luck, GJ

Archived