SASS Wire Forum

RESTAURANT ROBBERY FAILS

Lawdog Dago Dom

I don’t understand this article.

AFTER the citizen decided to take action to save his and other patrons hides, he had time to return all of the money and jewelry, and then everybody had time to leave the restaurant BEFORE the police arrived to save the day???

The citizen is wanted for questioning? I think the video is pretty self-explanatory!

9 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

I don’t understand this article.

AFTER the citizen decided to take action to save his and other patrons hides, he had time to return all of the money and jewelry, and then everybody had time to leave the restaurant BEFORE the police arrived to save the day???

The citizen is wanted for questioning? I think the video is pretty self-explanatory!

All good questions. But . . . . .

We really don't know when the police were called. During the incident? After? This is pure speculation on my part, but as things were unfolding and you have a nut waving a gun around, you probably don't want to be seen grabbing your phone. Once the dust settles and everybody goes "Whew, that was close," the thought of calling it in probably came about. I've had people tell me that who witnessed car crashes, so I suppose human reaction to a traumatic incident like this could be similar.

Location, location, location! Good for real estate and who gets grilled for a self-defense shooting. Cook County, Illinois, yeah you better lawyer up. In a rural, more conservative area, probably not so much (personally I would lawyer up ANYWHERE, but that's for another thread). The good guy/shooter in the instant case, is a big piece of the puzzle. A lot of what he says he saw, felt, thought, etc will have a determination on whether the prosecutor seeks charges or not. State of mind must be reasonable to the perceived threat, and the amount of force used to stop that threat. Bad guy with a gun pretty much maxes out the use of force continuum, meaning using a gun to defend yourself is quite reasonable in most circumstances. 

Bottom line is the prosecutor can't make a call without the report. Cop can't make the report without talking to all witnesses and parties to the incident. Get a lawyer, make an appointment to be interviewed by the investigators. Just part of the process.

50 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

When seconds count, the defunded police are only hours away.:ph34r:

Sadly, there is iron in your words for all to see (stealing from Josie Wales). Even in big cities, even with a hot call (things happening in real time), response times are horrible. Rural areas are worse. Many places have NO police coverage from 10pm-6am (see my recent Thoughts While Shaving-shameless self promotion). So yes, it can literally be an hour or more for an officer to arrive.

7 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Sadly, there is iron in your words for all to see (stealing from Josie Wales). Even in big cities, even with a hot call (things happening in real time), response times are horrible. Rural areas are worse. Many places have NO police coverage from 10pm-6am (see my recent Thoughts While Shaving-shameless self promotion). So yes, it can literally be an hour or more for an officer to arrive.

You're so right. We had a State Trooper come to one of our Select board meetings last fall. He explained how they only have 16 troopers covering the NE section of Vermont now and that includes administration.With time off, sick and special assignments,they are very limited in their response abilities now. Our town has no police, so we rely on the State Police to a very limited degree. Then the "woke" wonder why crime has increased. :ph34r:

12 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Bottom line is the prosecutor can't make a call without the report. Cop can't make the report without talking to all witnesses and parties to the incident. Get a lawyer, make an appointment to be interviewed by the investigators. Just part of the process.

Exactly, and police will admit that the majority of their convictions are from what someone said during the interview and not necessarily what the subjects were brought in for questioning about. If you were not the shooter, and you are there when the police show up you probably will NOT BE ALLOWED to leave for several hours. They will not be recompensated for their inconvenience, work that they miss, fees for showing up late to pick up your kids, etc. They will have their names put into the public record where anyone who wants to (i.e. media, relatives of the person shot, etc.) can access it and ...

I agree that they may have a "public duty" to stay and report, and I probably would. But I also feel that in today's society it is not the smartest thing to do!

The shooter should not say a word without a lawyer present, and probably not even with one since the lawyer can speak for him. But again, that means he will (most likely) be out a significant amount of money (either previously paid for insurance or new upfront costs for a lawyer) for an event that he did not precipitate. He definitely will become a public record when found!

The guy that shot the robber may be in for a lot more than he bargained for.   

Here is a link to the full video.  

The first 4 rounds fired I can see as self defense. The next 4 are questionable. However that 9th round that looks to be to the head likely crossed the line of self defense. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is why I like living in a suburb, police response time is very fast, of course not as fast as one of my .357's!!

Archived