SASS Wire Forum

Of Viands and Victuals

Subdeacon Joe

A slightly more modern version.

FISH CHOWDER
Courtesy of the G.H. Bent Company  

Ingredients
2½ pounds chowder fish (haddock, cod, or scrod)

½ cup diced salt pork (rind removed)

1 onion, chopped

4 potatoes, diced

2 cups half & half

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Bent's Pilot Crackers (split into halves)

Directions
Simmer fish in 3 cups of water for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, fry salt pork in frying pan until beginning to crisp. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until salt pork is brown and onions are soft.

Carefully remove fish from broth and set aside, covered loosely with foil.

Add pork-onion mixture to broth and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender (about 20 minutes). Reduce heat to low, stir in butter and half & half and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Add fish and bring to a gentle simmer. Place one halved Pilot cracker in bottom of soup bowl, cover with chowder, and serve.

• Thanks 1

I tried something a little different for dinner:

Mayo Baked Cod Fillet

Frozen Cod or Alaskan Pollock Fillets

About ½ cup Mayonnaise, preferably homemade

Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon, Juice Divided

Salt and Black Pepper to Taste

A few dashes of Tabasco

Heat oven to 425F.  Line rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment.

Mix Mayonnaise, Lemon Zest, Juice of Half the Lemon, Salt, Pepper, and Tabasco. 

Slather both sides and the edges of the Cod or Pollock Fillets thickly with the Mayonnaise and grind a little more Pepper over it – if only doing a few pieces you will have more than you need.

Place on baking sheet, bake from frozen for about 25 minutes.  Remove from oven, and squeeze some of the remaining Lemon over the Fish.  Serve at once.
===================================================
I made this with a Mayonnaise Roasted Cauliflower – Trim the stem and leaves from a small Cauliflower so it will sit flat.  Steam for about 10 minutes and allow to cool.  Slather with the same Mayonnaise mix as used on the Fish.  Place on baking sheet, grind some Pepper over it.
Same baking time as the fish.  Drizzle a little Lemon Juice over it along with the Fish.  Slice and serve. 

As usual, play with the seasonings to your taste. 

18 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Mix Mayonnaise, Lemon Zest, Juice of Half the Lemon, Salt, Pepper, and Tabasco. 

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I love how “salt and pepper to taste” always comes at a point when there is nothing to taste.

There's plenty to taste.   Is the Mayonnaise coating seasoned to your taste.  Salt and pepper tend to be the most variable ingredients, especially on something like this.  Most people can come close to what they like first try.   I barely added any salt and about 4 grinds of pepper.  You might want a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of black pepper.  Heck, next time I might go heavy on both.

• Like 1

Made this today for the Church potluck.  Saw people going back for 2nds and 3rds. :)

Cherry Chocolate Cake.

Ingredients
1 box Chocolate cake mix
1 small jar Maraschino Cherries
1 12 oz can Diet Cherry Coke  (You can also use Diet Dr. Pepper) 
1 Family size box Cherry Jello ( diet or regular)
1 small size Vanilla Instant Pudding ( diet or regular)
1 tub Cool Whip ( diet or regular)

Set aside 28 Whole cherries for use as decoration. Dice remaining cherries
Set aside 1/2 cup of the cake mix.
Put soda, cake mix and the eggs called for in the cake mix ( Do not add water, or oil) in a large bowl and mix well
Dust the diced cherries with the cake mix set aside in step 1.
Fold cherries into the cake batter. 

Pour cake mix into 9 X 13 cake pan and bake per box instructions

While cake is cooling prepare topping

In a large bowl, Mix Vanilla pudding mix per box instructions. Do not allow it to set up.
Fold in Cool Whip
Add Cherry Jello powder mix well.
Once cake is cool, add topping.

Place whole cherries on top of icing to decorate. ( I cut the cake into 28 pieces and put one cherry on each piece.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Made this today for the Church potluck.  Saw people going back for 2nds and 3rds. :)

Cherry Chocolate Cake.

Ingredients
1 box Chocolate cake mix
1 small jar Maraschino Cherries
1 12 oz can Diet Cherry Coke  (You can also use Diet Dr. Pepper) 
1 Family size box Cherry Jello ( diet or regular)
1 small size Vanilla Instant Pudding ( diet or regular)
1 tub Cool Whip ( diet or regular)

Set aside 28 Whole cherries for use as decoration. Dice remaining cherries
Set aside 1/2 cup of the cake mix.
Put soda, cake mix and the eggs called for in the cake mix ( Do not add water, or oil) in a large bowl and mix well
Dust the diced cherries with the cake mix set aside in step 1.
Fold cherries into the cake batter. 

Pour cake mix into 9 X 13 cake pan and bake per box instructions

While cake is cooling prepare topping

In a large bowl, Mix Vanilla pudding mix per box instructions. Do not allow it to set up.
Fold in Cool Whip
Add Cherry Jello powder mix well.
Once cake is cool, add topping.

Place whole cherries on top of icing to decorate. ( I cut the cake into 28 pieces and put one cherry on each piece.)

That

Sounds

GOOD

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That

Sounds

GOOD

It was delicious.  Working up a modification to the recipe for next month.

Lemon Blue Berry Cake.  If it turns out I'll post the recipe.

• Like 1

Mayonnaise has gotten insanely expensive.  Fortunately, it's also insanely easy to make, especially if you have an immersion blender.

Egg, acid, oil, stabilizer, and seasonings.

Equipment: immersion blender, a tall and narrow jar that the immersion blender will fit into and has a capacity of 1.5 to 2 cups. Most blenders come with a cup for mixing, but I like to use a jar that I can store the finished mayonnaise in.

Ingredients, make sure that they're at room temperature:

1 Egg

1 TBS Lemon Juice or Vinegar

1/2 to 1 tsp Dijon, or other made mustard except yellow mustard.

About 1/2 tsp Salt

1 cup Oil, something with a neutral flavor.

Other seasonings, e.g. white pepper, paprika, powdered herbs.  Go light with these.  

Put the Egg, Lemon Juice or Vinegar, Salt, and mustard into the jar, make sure that the blades of the blender will be in contact with them.  Gently add the oil all at once.  Let everything settle.   

Start the blender and let it do it's work without moving it.  It should blend everything all together into mayonnaise.  With it still running slowly bring it up through the mayo, you may need to use it to blend the the top little bit in.

Stop the blender, pull it out, and CAREFULLY wipe the mayonnaise off of it into the jar.  

Play with the flavors.  Change up the vinegar, the kind of mustard, add a few capers, or maybe a couple of olives.

Keeps in the fridge for a week.  According to the usual books and guides.  I've had it keep for 2 weeks.  Play with it.

13 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Lemon Blue Berry Cake.  If it turns out I'll post the recipe.

That would be great!  I have three 2.5 pound bags of blueberries from the food bank in the freezer, and there is a lemon tree next to us that nobody else picks other than one or two now and then.   Next door neighbor claims it's hers, but it's in a common area and in 12 years I've never seen her pick a single one.

• Like 1

Garlic Bread Soup

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2P74hpISd2/?igsh=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

Ingredients :

2 Maypole Brown Ftira (a Maltese bread, use whatever hearty bread you want)
200g Unsalted Butter
4 tbs Italian Seasoning
4 Heads of Garlic
5 tbs Olive Oil
5 boiled Potatoes
200g Pancetta
1 Onion
2 cups Beef Stock
200g Parmesan Cheese
2 cups kale shredded
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 tsp Salt & Pepper

For a thinner version https://www.orchidsandsweettea.com/creamy-garlic-bread-soup/

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever been making a casserole or assembling a lasagne and uhoh…

Like Robert Shaw (Quint) in Jaws, “We’re going to need a bigger boat”

you pan was just not big enough?

been there, done that

i found a 5.2 qt 13x9 dish on amazon!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Have you ever been making a casserole or assembling a lasagne and uhoh…

Like Robert Shaw (Quint) in Jaws, “We’re going to need a bigger boat”

you pan was just not big enough?

been there, done that

i found a 5.2 qt 13x9 dish on amazon!

Just about every time I made soup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scalloped Potatoes – from “The Southern Cookbook- 322 Old Dixie Recipes”  1935

image.png.84d4f597ea17f18750a4c9a743a74222.png

Slice about 6 raw potatoes with a slaw cutter. Cover the bottom of a baking dish with bread crumbs, bits of butter and a little parsley. Put over it a layer of potatoes, salt and pepper. Alternate potatoes and bread crumbs until dish is full. Pour a cup of milk over it and bake in moderate oven (350 F.) for one hour.

(MY NOTES: Be generous with the salt. After you pour in the milk, finish with a layer of bread crumbs.  Layer in some thinly sliced onions if you like – I used an Oxo Mandolin set on 1 to slice the onions, and on 3 for the potatoes.  Try adding some grated Parmesan Cheese to the bread crumbs.)

• Like 2

I ran across something on Instagram that looked interesting so I gave it a try this morning.  I sliced the apples about as thick as the video showed and both my wife and I though the slices were too thick.  The video also showed just slicing the apples and removing the core, I thought peeling them would give a better bite.  

Apple Pancakes

Your favorite pancake batter – can even be from a mix.

~1 tsp Cinnamon

~1/4 tsp grated Nutmeg

2 Large Apples, peeled, cored, sliced about 3/16 to ¼ inch thick.

Mix enough pancake batter for 6 pancakes (batch using about 1 ½ cups of flour).  Add the cinnamon and nutmeg.

Heat griddle or large skillet over low heat.  Lightly oil it.  I used cooking spray, but butter or oil also work.

Peel and core the apples, slice them into rounds.   (or peel it, slice into rounds, and remove the core). 

Dip slices into batter to coat both sides and cook on griddle/skillet just like pancakes. 

This will make 10 to 12 of the apple pancakes.  Maybe more. 

Very satisfying. 

As usual, vary the spices to your taste, or leave them out completely. 

• Thanks 1

Confession: I like refried beans and Mexican Rice sometimes.

I always had trouble getting the right texture on the beans until Saturday. Thursday I put a pound of dry pintos in a pot to soak. Friday I drained them and put them in a pot to simmer for an hour plus as I usually do.  Feeling lazy, I didn’t want to finish the job Friday so after a bit I shut off the burner. So they wouldn’t spoil I’d put the burner back on to let the pot simmer for an hour or so several times. I mean just feeling LAZY. On Saturday I drained that pot saving the “bean broth” and continued the cook, maxing the beans.  OMG, the texture was perfect without a whole lot of effort mashing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/learn/recipes/english-katchup/

See website for modern version

Take a wide mouth’d bottle, put therein a pint of the best white-wine vinegar; then put in ten or twelve cloves of eschalot peeled and just bruised; then take a quarter of a pint of the best Langoon white wine, boil it a little, and put to it twelve or fourteen anchovies washed and shred, and dissolve them in the wine, and when cold put them in the bottle; then take a quarter of a pint more of white-wine, and put in it mace, ginger sliced, a few cloves, a spoonful of whole pepper just bruised, let them boil all a little; when near cold, slice in almost a whole nutmeg, and some lemon peel, and likewise put in two or three spoonfuls of horse-radish; then stop it close, and for a week shake it once or twice a day; then use it: ‘Tis good to put into fish sauce, or any savoury dish of meat; you may add to it the clear liquor that comes from mushrooms.

— SMITH, ELIZA, “THE COMPLETE HOUSEWIFE” 1827

Leeks.

Just about every receipt that uses them says to cut off and discard the dark green part. Something like this:

102702509_Andy-Lyons-2000-fe48e7b2907444eba0e9994c06ea3c46.webp.5c4a70c87d90c131f75bc73002de5b0f.webp

OK, leeks are expensive.   Especially if you buy them by the pound.   Throwing away that top part doubles the cost per serving of the white and light green part.

At the very least you should save them  for stock.

But you can also cook them. Trim the top half inch or so,  then slice them across in about 3/8 strips and sauté in some butter and braise with white wine. 

Or toss with some oil, salt,  and pepper (or powdered soup base) and airfry until they are crisp.   Eat as a snack,   crumble over popcorn. Put on baked potatoes.   Use to garnish pasta.  

But don't throw them out. 

• Thanks 3

there are lots of nice pic and a video at https://www.southernliving.com/millionaire-bacon-7104949?hid=01e9f850b2fa44206e484d3eaf5f6d67d967556a&did=11969586-20240301&utm_campaign=the-food-feed_newsletter&utm_source=alrcom&utm_medium=email&utm_content=030124&lctg=01e9f850b2fa44206e484d3eaf5f6d67d967556a

but copying them was a headache.

millionaire bacon

Ingredients

• 8 slices bacon 

• 1/2, plus 1/3 cup brown sugar, divided

• 1/3 cup maple syrup

• 1/2 tsp. black pepper

• 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, divided

Directions

1. Preheat oven and prepare pan: 

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.

Make sugar mixture: 

In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup brown sugar, maple syrup, black pepper, and 1 tsp. cayenne pepper. The mixture will be wet and a little sandy.

Partially cook the bacon: 

Place bacon slices on foil-lined baking sheet. Leave space between each slice to allow them to cook evenly.

Cook the bacon for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove the baking sheet from the oven.

Spoon brown sugar mixture over each piece of bacon, and return sheet pan to oven. Bake 10 minutes.

Add brown sugar mixture, finish cooking: 

While the bacon cooks, mix together the remaining brown sugar and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.

Remove the bacon from the oven, and sprinkle the additional brown sugar mixture on top of the bacon slices. Return the bacon to the oven and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until the bacon looks cooked and crisp, not limp. Sugar will burn quickly, so watch the bacon closely to get it cooked properly?

Remove pan from oven, and let bacon cool on the baking sheet for 1 minute. With tongs or a fork, move bacon from pan to a wire rack. Cool 5 minutes before serving.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Perhaps that source also has a recipe for cream sauce?  A bechamel? A roux with milk and cream, perhaps cheese?

I went back to the Facebook page and found the source 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t06x00x5g

A recipe, 1729. Found in, “The compleat housewife, or, Accomplish'd gentlewoman's companion : being a collection of upwards of five hundred of the most approved receipts in cookery, pastry, confectionary, preserving, pickles, cakes, creams, jellies, made wines, cordials : with copper plates curiously engraven for the regular disposition or placing the various dishes and courses : and also bills of fare for every month in the year : to which is added, a collection of above two hundred family receipts of medicines ...” Written by E. Smith. 

From Hathitrust
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31175035227522

FB_IMG_1710032051771.thumb.jpg.a67e01563eb6062b65fe5445187d1951.jpg

https://recipes.net/dessert/ice-cream/buttermilk-brown-sugar-and-rye-bread-ice-cream/

• 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup rye bread, cubed
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, heavy cream, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until well combined.

Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

In the last 5 minutes of churning, add the cubed rye bread into the ice cream maker and continue to churn until evenly distributed.

Transfer the ice cream to a lidded container and freeze for at least 4 hours or until firm.

Serve the buttermilk, brown sugar & rye bread ice cream in bowls or cones and enjoy!

I wanted something sweet after dinner.  Hmmm.....we have graham crackers....need frosting.  Don't want to go to the store, and we don't have any soft butter.

My wife has been playing with blended 2% cottage cheese.  Blend it with an immersion blender until smooth, makes a sort of cream cheese.  

About a cup and a half of 2% cottage cheese, a half cup of non-fat (or maybe 2%) sour cream, about 1/4 cup of milk, blend with immersion blender until smooth, then add in a large box of Jello Instant Pudding.  We had chocolate, so that's what we used.  Blend it well.

Tastes just like a Chocolate Cream Cheese frosting.  

Also makes a nice spread on a street taco size flour tortilla for a "chocolate taco."