SASS Wire Forum

Another ‘missing Ukrainian friend’ reports in

Gradually I had friends fall off the grid and other friends stay in Ukraine.  Of the ones who fell off the grid, one just showed up in Peru, as a refugee of course. I told her my recollection of Peru is that they eat a lot of chicken. She said YES. But at least she is out of the war zone.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

She said “I am close to you!”

I said “3600 miles, Ukraine was 4500 miles”. ))))

but a new phase of life begins, Ukrainian law education for naught.

I glad to hear she's safe.  At least she has the ability to start over.  If she made it through law school, she will achieve anything she wants.

Prayers up for the rest of your friends.

When VISAs were being offered it was Peru or Canada. When you look at Canada on a map it looks like a great frozen territory. In truth, most of the people live near the US border. Anyway she is terrified of the extreme cold, not a lot different from Ukraine at 55° latitude really. So she and her friend selected Peru. ….. Lima. They start out cleaning apartments. When looking for an apartment, places against the mountain were pointed out as “don’t go there, for the very, very poor and the mafia, you can be killed.”

her history, she is from zaporizhzhia. Zaporizzhzhian Cossacks are not just cute, fancy sword twirling dancers, it is also home to thugs and brigands, organized crime. She did learn the hard way, as most do.

July 28 is her birthday, I must send something. Moneygrams are usually the right size and color.

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

When VISAs were being offered it was Peru or Canada. When you look at Canada on a map it looks like a great frozen territory. In truth, most of the people live near the US border. Anyway she is terrified of the extreme cold, not a lot different from Ukraine at 55° latitude really. So she and her friend selected Peru. ….. Lima. They start out cleaning apartments. When looking for an apartment, places against the mountain were pointed out as “don’t go there, for the very, very poor and the mafia, you can be killed.”

her history, she is from zaporizhzhia. Zaporizzhzhian Cossacks are not just cute, fancy sword twirling dancers, it is also home to thugs and brigands, organized crime. She did learn the hard way, as most do.

July 28 is her birthday, I must send something. Moneygrams are usually the right size and color.

The best way to send money is via an ATM card.  Find a bank local to you and the person you want to give money to. You mail them an ATM card linked to the account. Once they receive it they call and you give them the PIN. A moneygram can be stolen while in the mail before it can be delivered. If the ATM card is stolen it is useless without the PIN. It can also be cancelled and easily replaced.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The best way to send money is via an ATM card.  Find a bank local to you and the person you want to give money to. You mail them an ATM card linked to the account. Once they receive it they call and you give them the PIN. A moneygram can be stolen while in the mail before it can be delivered. If the ATM card is stolen it is useless without the PIN. It can also be cancelled and easily replaced.

You don’t know Moneygrams. They are not mailed

I'm obviously an outside observer, but why would one choose Peru over Canada given the choice? Canada is, of course, not a frozen wasteland. It's a first world country with a lot more of an economy and economic opportunity than Peru has or ever will; not to knock Peru.

Also, Canada has a very large, long established Ukranian diaspora. There must be a lot of support being mobilized among them there for current refugees. 

Just curious, is all. Don't know the whole story.

On 7/14/2022 at 9:58 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I'm obviously an outside observer, but why would one choose Peru over Canada given the choice? Canada is, of course, not a frozen wasteland. It's a first world country with a lot more of an economy and economic opportunity than Peru has or ever will; not to knock Peru.

Also, Canada has a very large, long established Ukranian diaspora. There must be a lot of support being mobilized among them there for current refugees. 

Just curious, is all. Don't know the whole story.

Many things are at play here.  In the former second world (what was dominated by USSR) geography and such were not part of the education system. Nobody tried to tell the captives about the rest of the world.  (Please allow me my cynicism.)

so, Yuliya was faced with a short time to choose and an image of an equatorial warm Peru and a cold looking Canada.  She did not know, as I did, that 40-50,000 Ukrainians fought with the Canadian Army in Normandy.  She is terrified of winter though for the most part it is no worse than her home.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:39 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Gradually I had friends fall off the grid and other friends stay in Ukraine.  Of the ones who fell off the grid, one just showed up in Peru, as a refugee of course. I told her my recollection of Peru is that they eat a lot of chicken. She said YES. But at least she is out of the war zone.

They also eat guinea pigs, cavies.

Archived