SASS Wire Forum

Reverse Shoulder replacement?

Mezcal Charlie

Just saw the saw bones who rebuilt both my shoulders a few years ago because I injured the left again and he says from the MRI it looks like a bowl of crab meat. No repair possible, he’s talking reverse replacement. I shoot gun fighter or duelist and don’t want to change plus my left is my main gun hand so has anyone had the reverse replacement surgery and will I be able to shoot with my left after?

I had it 3 1/2 years ago. It changes the geometry of how your shoulder and arm work. I have great movement/rotation. I can't reach the small of my back so I can't thread a belt or conceal carry back holster. But I still can't lift my pistol without some support. I shoot dualist so is tuck my left hand in my armpit so I can shoot right handed.

My ligament was torn loose. They had to relocate it and use a metal thingy to attach it to my shoulder. Maybe thats why?????

No pain though.

Ike

The problem I have is not being able to support the forend of my long guns. I do still hunt and use a shooting stick or bipods.

My left shoulder was replaced after two repairs. That was 4 years ago. I have had no pain in that shoulder since, movement is a little restricted, but completely acceptable and I was shooting in 5 weeks. No recoil on the left so shooting came faster than when I recently had the right shoulder replaced. I was hoping that it would turn out as good as the left, but I still have a little pain and it's been 5 months. Admittedly my right shoulder was in worse shape than my left. My right had been screwed together 14 years ago and it lasted that amount of time.

Still i'm a lot better off with the reverse shoulder replacements that I've had.  I had almost no use out of the shoulders before and now I feel that I'm 75%.

Johnny Meadows

13 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The problem I have is not being able to support the forend of my long guns. I do still hunt and use a shooting stick or bipods.

My right shoulder needs more surgery and I am not going to do it. I am 80 now and I can live with it the way it is. If it gets worse, that's another story.

Thanks for your input. I’ll be hoping and waiting for some improvement but worst case I’ll shoot right only. 

Sorry for your troubles.  Can't comment on the reverse total replacement surgery.

But a cautionary tale is in order.  I've had both repaired once; one 22 years ago after a disastrous fall, the other 12 years ago when it basically just fell apart.  Both still work much better than before they were fixed, really 100% good in my mind.  For those out there who need a shoulder rebuilt, DO NOT WAIT -- get it done as soon as there is any hint that you'll need it.  And then, after it is done, you need to change your lifestyle to the extent of keeping all of the muscles in your upper back, neck and chest all good and strong, forever.  The repairs will last a good long time if you stay strong, but if you think "it is fixed, I can relax now" then gravity will prove you wrong and undo the surgeon's good works.

Archived