SASS Wire Forum

Starlink ?

Buckshot Bob

Out here in the Florida swamps, internet options are very limited. I'm currently on an AT&T <spit> DSL line; I've had better -- 30 years ago. 

A  neighbor went with StarLink as soon as he could. Overall, he's been relatively happy with the speed and reliability. However, the incomplete StarLink constellation (with about half the intended 4,408 satellites in orbit) means occasional drop-outs and limited throughput. And rainstorms (which NEVER occur in Florida) will sometimes block the signal. StarLInk says all that will improve dramatically with the rapidly increasing amount of satellites - in 1 to 3 years. 

Even with the current shortcomings, I signed up for StarLInk.  Theeeeen... Florida High Speed announced they will soon be offering Fiber inside each house in our area: 100 Mbps as opposed to "up to" 10 unreliable AT&T <spit> megs, for only $2 a month more. Oh Hells, yes!  I cancelled my twice as expensive StarLink to go with Fiber.  I look forward to cancelling AT&T <spit> with extreme prejudice. 

Bottom line, StarLink should be a good provider if no other choices are available. You'll pay more, however. 

Luck, BB!

If I get on the list now it looks like the soonest I can get on is sometime in 2023 . I have pretty mediocre internet now through centurytel  . If I can get the speeds that I see people getting on YouTube my plan would be to also drop dish so it would be a net gain for me on cost . If I installed it at the hunting cabin I could get it now , but 120mi south I get to wait according to the coverage map . 

I just decided to get in line, $99 deposit, supposedly refundable if I decide to get out . There’s already service in my area , apparently just not enough. Supposedly 2023 . Guess I’d rather them limit it to what they can handle than overload the system. 

I talked to my neighbor. She has had Starlink for three months and is very pleased with the performance. Where we live, we do not have access to any cable / fiber systems so our options are limited.

However, she stated that she recently received information from Starlink regarding a Dish Network effort that could impact Starlink.

I looked it up and found this:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/06/starlink-tells-customers-that-a-dish-5g-plan-would-make-starlink-unusable/

I read about that in my internet research. I’m guessing it will be a year before I get the call so I have some time . With something like Starlink I know I won’t want dish anymore and I can’t be the only one. I guess we’ll see who’s got the better lawyers and lobbyists 

5 hours ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

Out here in the Florida swamps, internet options are very limited. I'm currently on an AT&T <spit> DSL line; I've had better -- 30 years ago. 

Thirty years ago for Al Bore’s Internet access it was 300 baud dialup.

One thing the Article failed to point out is fixed site Starlink customers are guaranteed a minimum downlink speed. This is why the rollout is going so slow. They need the satellites in orbit to provide the promised downlink speeds.

The mobile (RV) service does not come with a guaranteed downlink speed.

I looked at starlink as we are very rural and cell router is the only viable internet provider.

Had nomad and unlimited unlimitedville pricey but worked. 

then I got the tmobile 5g modem. Unlimited internet at $50 a month I have seen over 100 Meg download speed. 

3 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Thirty years ago for Al Bore’s Internet access it was 300 baud dialup.

Well carp, you're right.  I should have said 20 years. In 2002, meeeeby 2004, in the wilds of Long Belch, CA, Comcast offered true 10 Mbps (up from 5) internet over the Cable. I got the "Internet Hog" package, without download or speed limits.  After enduring AOL, it was ammmmaaaaaazzzzzzziiiiiinnnnngggggg!!!  Had to hide my router, lest Comcast charge me extra.  But that was 20 years ago, and there's been rum since. 

Livin' the Geek Life! 

When the local cable company first offered the internet, I was one of the first to subscribe. I ordered a new Dell computer with a network card and not a modem. They called me and tried to tell me that I needed the modem to access the internet. I explained what I was doing and they were not aware that the network card would work with cable internet service.:rolleyes:

Pretty soon, this thread is going to have to evolve to routers, likely the new-fangled mesh routers.

Our 2700 squares home is built much like a lower case "b".  The living quarters form the lower part of the b (the bowl to font geeks), with the 3-car garage as the b's staff (ascender). At the very top of the b, is my walled and air-conditioned workshop and man-cave. Getting WiFi to the man-cave has always been a problem, with the distance from the router and the two external concrete and rebar filled cinder block walls the signal must go through.  Mesh routers seem to be the solution.  

I'm looking at the TP-Link Deco AX6600 Tri-Band or the ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 Tri-Band Mesh (I have no idea why both mesh routers share the same AX6600 name.)  I'd go with a two node system (at least initially), with nodes at the top left and lower left of the bowl of the b.  Existing power and high, open cabinet tops being the main consideration. That configuration should give us good coverage of our home offices as well as the flat-screen and the all important man-cave. 

Any thoughts?    

Archived