SASS Wire Forum

I Hope That I Instilled The Memory Of Bennie In My Neighbor

Cypress Sun

Years ago, my SO and I had just moved into a rental house in Clearwater Fl. Back then, we were living week to week/day to day as most folks starting out do. That was when I first met my new neighbor, Bennie.

Bennie was an old guy or so it seemed to me. He came over and introduced himself on the day I moved in, offered to help as I remember. About a week after moving in, I had trouble with my car, needed some expensive (to me) work done that I couldn't do. I'm out there, in the driveway, with the hood up and Bennie comes over and asked what was up. I told him the problem and the cost. He said, I'll be right back. Comes back with a handful of cash, hands it to me and says. Pay me back when you can.

In the weeks and years to come, I became friends with Bennie, real good friends. Bennie was a WWII vet. Didn't like to talk about the war much unless there were current events that stirred his memories. He told me of the island landings and horrific combat that kept him woke him up at night and invaded his thoughts during the day.

He would help me and everyone else, everywhere and anytime he could without being asked. After a brief illness, he passed away about 20 years ago.  have tried to emulate his actions as I have gotten older. 

A young couple with a baby, bought the house next door about a year ago. We were cordial, hello, how ya doing, that kind of thing. Today, he asked if I knew anything about water heaters, as his was leaking. Went over, looked at it...yep, it's done. I told him, I'll give you a hand, so I gave him a list of material to get, told him to go to HD or Lowes (he went to Lowes) and I'd help him put it in. He got the stuff (amazingly got it right) and we put the water heater in...okay, I put the water heater in as he had no clue or the tools to do it with.

A little long winded post, I know.

Just wanted to thank my old neighbor and friend Bennie. Thanks for the life lessons that you taught me Bennie. I just hope that I was able to pass them along.

My neighbor, a WWII vet from an elite unit that was influential in the Pacific Campaign was no Bennie.  Kind of mean and always grouchy.  Used to let his dog crap in my driveway.  Don't think we were bad neighbors, but who am I to say.  After he passed, his wife stayed in the house, and was there when we moved.  I used to clear her driveway, and several times, when she'd locked herself out, climbed through her garage window, opened the overhead door, and picked the lock on the door between the garage and the house.  One of the times' her little yapper bit me, fortunately he couldn't reach anything but western boot. Rather than pay forward, returning good for bad.

My WWII vet neighbor was named Helmut. Was a POW here in Fort Wayne and was allowed to stay after the war. Everyone and everything he had at home was gone. Heck of a nice guy. 

Archived