SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of APP -- Is there anything special that must be done with the guns?

Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329

I too have a fair number of APP cartridges.

I usually shoot black powder, so I am not familiar with anything special that needs to be done with my pistolas after a day with APP.

Does the fouling cause rust in my action, and do I need to address any issues with using APP.

Thanks in advance

--Dawg

Just spray some Windex (original formula) on the cils and down the barrels, run patches, and then run a patch of your favorite 'finisher'.

I spray mine down with CLP (Brownells) and wipe and run a patch.

I have less cleaning with APP than Goex or 777...never shot the real black.

Dawg, if your guns are set up to shoot black you don't have to do anything special. I still lube with ballistols, get your brass in water quick. I have left my guns dirty for 2 weeks before cleaning them after APP, no wear as bad as pyrodex. Clean up with moose milk just like real black. APP does smoke more than real.

Rafe

3 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Dawg, if your guns are set up to shoot black you don't have to do anything special. I still lube with ballistols, get your brass in water quick. I have left my guns dirty for 2 weeks before cleaning them after APP, no wear as bad as pyrodex. Clean up with moose milk just like real black. APP does smoke more than real.

Rafe

you can do that when you have a low humidity environment.

kR

If you shoot a '66 or Henry, wipe down the frame pretty quickly.  When I used APP (Cleanshot back then) it seemed to make stains on the brass rather than the even patina of BP.

Archived