SASS Wire Forum

Black powder shotshell questions

Marshall Matt Dillon

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I broke one of those antique tools trying to prime a shell, the handle snapped in two.  I bought another but am afraid to try it.  But I easily prime them on my Lee Loadall II anyway.  Push the hull down over the primer on a table to get it started, then move it the the Lee and seat it.

42 minutes ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

Got my 2. It has taken me three different places to get 100 hulls. 

I need a better way to put primers in. Will be looking for one of those antique priming tools at gun shows next two weekends. The clamp type. 

5a8c7fe27bb7e_Prime12gaugebrasshullsFeb2018.jpg.d4569f1d8625a86e8d8c6b1890b8e914.jpg

This is the best way.  RCBS 12 gauge shell holder and Lee priming post.  But I'm betting you won't be able to find an RCBS 12 gauge shell holder.  MidwayUSA use to sale them separate from the dies.

Buffalo Arms Co. has the 12-gauge shell holder in stock, but shipping costs more than the shell holder. (if that is all you're going to order).

They also have the 4D 12-gauge dies, but the price is a little steep for me.

Check out what "Forest Camping", a Russian company has to offer.  They have NEW versions of OLD tools to reload shotgun shells. 

Notice there is a second decaping "do-hicky" that looks like it's obviously made to decap brass hulls with pistolprimers. 

They have a website.  www.ft-camp.com but also an eBay store. Forest-camping2016 their prices are good but shipping is high.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reloading-Press-12-gauge-FC-/253904844613?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Buffalo Arms Co. has the 12-gauge shell holder in stock, but shipping costs more than the shell holder. (if that is all you're going to order).

They also have the 4D 12-gauge dies, but the price is a little steep for me.

I have a shell holder ordered there, thanks! I searched the other day and could not find it on that website. 

I wonder what the second die in that set does. A seating die. Just the sizing die is $185. That company is here in ohio less then 2 hours from me.

10 hours ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

Got my 2. It has taken me three different places to get 100 hulls. 

I need a better way to put primers in. Will be looking for one of those antique priming tools at gun shows next two weekends. The clamp type. 

If you have a MEC loader you can prime brass shells, I do it all the time.

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Check out what "Forest Camping", a Russian company has to offer.  They have NEW versions of OLD tools to reload shotgun shells. 

I have ordered from them before,,,shipping was 2 months

33 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

If you have a MEC loader you can prime brass shells, I do it all the time.

The only shotshell reloader i have is a ponsness warren for my old trapshooting addiction i had for a few years. It is a monster made for pure fast production,,,useless for anything else. 

54 minutes ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

The only shotshell reloader i have is a ponsness warren for my old trapshooting addiction i had for a few years. It is a monster made for pure fast production,,,useless for anything else. 

Ok.  There’s another way to prime them, the way the old timers did.  Get a wooden dowel that’s bigger than the primer pocket but no bigger than ½ inch and a small block of either wood or if you have it some smooth steel.  Place the primer on the block, put the shell on top of the primer then put the dowel in the shell.  Then tap the dowel  down until the primer is seated.  Not the fasted way but it works.  If you decide to get another reloader try to find a MEC JR, there’s a kit that MEC sells (you’ll have to call them because they don’t advertise it) to de-prime, and prime LPP, then you can use the ram to stuff the shells and load the shot.  With the correct bushing you might even be able to load the powder.

More details on my homemade priming tool.

110767518_10gaugewoodenprimer2Feb2021.jpg.644a78d0b1f7fee9c2acb6427814c8b2.jpg

I took a scrap of wood. Happened to be an oak survey stake. Installed a hinge. Closed it over and drilled a hole of the appropriate size with a Forstner or spade bit through one side letting the pilot point of the bit locate where the anvil post needs to be.  I just used a small flat head screw for the anvil.  Filed off the slot.

1394937574_10Gaugewoodenprimer1Feb2021.jpg.e692831e2414a15aa70c54ae5232cb9b.jpg

Works well even if homely.

I've looked at paint brush handles and thought they would make a classier looking end product. 

Archived