SASS Wire Forum

Black SF Officer from Vietnam may finally get MOH

Col. Paris Davis, who retired from the U.S. Army Special Forces, photographed this month in Alexandria, Va. While fighting in the Vietnam War in 1965, Mr. Davis performed a stunning series of heroic acts during an 18-hour battle, including dragging three wounded men to safety after he had been shot five times.Credit...Michael A. McCoy for The New York Times

A Black Soldier’s Heroism, Overlooked in 1965, May Finally Be Lauded in 2021

Comrades repeatedly told the Army that Capt. Paris Davis, one of the first Black officers in the Special Forces, deserved the Medal of Honor. The Army kept losing the paperwork.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/15/us/paris-davis-medal-of-honor.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20210216&instance_id=27152&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=30446431&segment_id=51719&user_id=2a74a0088d1fb46e0d0616331ce77dbb

The Army in Viet Nam was very proficient at losing paperwork.  It took 41 years to get my purple heart awarded, and there are a whole bunch of air medals and etc. that I will never see.  That's all right, my buddies know what I did.

I am glad that he finally got his richly deserved award.  I know he did not do what he did for the glory.

Duffield

3 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

The Army in Viet Nam was very proficient at losing paperwork.  It took 41 years to get my purple heart awarded, and there are a whole bunch of air medals and etc. that I will never see.  That's all right, my buddies know what I did.

I am glad that he finally got his richly deserved award.  I know he did not do what he did for the glory.

Duffield

Thanks to ALL you hot war warriors for your courageous service!  There have been other instances where paperwork has been "lost" where the proposed recipient was of a certain ethnic or racial background.  Granted, there could just be a matter of it lying on somebody's in-basket ("forget me" basket), but I still have to wonder about the other factor. :angry:

Thanks again! :FlagAm:

Stay well and safe!

3 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Duffield

It has not been approved yet, but is headed that way.

20 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Thanks to ALL you hot war warriors for your courageous service!  There have been other instances where paperwork has been "lost" where the proposed recipient was of a certain ethnic or racial background.  Granted, there could just be a matter of it lying on somebody's in-basket ("forget me" basket), but I still have to wonder about the other factor. :angry:

Thanks again! :FlagAm:

Stay well and safe!

Yes, it could have been denied because of his race.  But the military has traditionally been very loath to award the Congressional.  And lazy clerks did neglect or misplace paperwork from time to time, which is what happened to me.  If my former CO had not risen to Major General I never would have received that purple heart.

Duffield

Archived