SASS Wire Forum

What Would You Choose to Do?

DocWard

Woodcarving. 

I've a friend who has taught me basic blacksmithing.  I have a pretty decent Buffalo coal forge, Champion blower, and Mousehole anvil, all well over a century old.  Needin' a gas forge.

The same buddy is also a master carver.  Unfortunately, he's just busy enough and far enough away to make coaching difficult.

My son gave me a set of Stanley Sweetheart chisels (:wub:) a few years ago, and when I retired I treated myself to maybe a dozen carefully selected Swiss made Pfeil carving tools.  They're all patiently waiting for me!  ^_^

Too long a list............welding, machining, gunsmithing, knife making and hand sharpening, bushcraft, African Hunting, Shortwave radio shack setup and operation, telescope astronomy, novel writing and publishing, baking, engine repair car truck and motorcyle, industrial scale meth manufacturing and marketing, canning food and freeze drying food, electrical wiring and solar installation, photography for nature and astronomical, how to understand women, manufacturing and use of high explosives, converting diesel engine to alcohol burning engine, how to make a still to produce wood alcohol, how to get other people to do exactly what you want, how to prevent idiots from being elected to office........................................

On 1/29/2021 at 3:06 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Woodcarving. 

I've a friend who has taught me basic blacksmithing.  I have a pretty decent Buffalo coal forge, Champion blower, and Mousehole anvil, all well over a century old.  Needin' a gas forge.

The same buddy is also a master carver.  Unfortunately, he's just busy enough and far enough away to make coaching difficult.

My son gave me a set of Stanley Sweetheart chisels (:wub:) a few years ago, and when I retired I treated myself to maybe a dozen carefully selected Swiss made Pfeil carving tools.  They're all patiently waiting for me!  ^_^

Hardpan,

Carving is fun! Don’t wait! I started when I was 73, three years ago.  I never thought to try it then I watched a YouTube video (Sharon my Art) on how to carve a little figure. It is  charactiture (sp?) but it was fun. I started making changes to the basic design to try out different ideas. Once I got going I made different things for family and friends.   Christmas of 2019 I made 18 Santa ornaments for the tree. I gave them away and everybody seemed to love them. Many  sent me pictures this year of the ornament on their tree.
Just watch some videos on YouTube and ‘try it, you’ll like it.’ There are magazines devoted to carving also. Be sure to practice safety. Wear a glove, use a thumb guard. You will cut yourself, try to keep it to small nicks. 

Best of Luck

CJ

I've taken the sailing lessons, which I'll repeat soon for better familiarity, before trying to build a small sailboat next.

Been trying my hand at some woodworking stuff, learning as I go and enjoying it as well.

Then next up is learning to make charcuterie, probably over the next 6 months or so, already studying it.

I would love to learn proper weightlifting forms for strength training (now that I'm over 65 I need it more than when I was younger),

and I'd like to learn some basic self defense techniques with ASP or PR24-like batons for when I travel overseas and can't bring a gun.

I carry a monopod for my photography (which I hardly ever use but like to have) that would work well as a PR-24 or short stick, and

a refresher in using the Kubotan would also be handy!

So much to learn, or at least try out and decide if I like it.

SC

• 3 months later...
On 1/3/2021 at 8:31 PM, DocWard said:

The "Mean Knife" thread, and my comment to it, got me thinking, which we all know is dangerous. I had mentioned a karambit wielded by Doug Marcaida as something that would definitely scare me. However, as a martial artist, I would love to take one of his training seminars. That's where the thinking came in. I began wandering what type of training others here would like to take. Non-Firearms training, of course. I mean, I assume all of us here would be happy to do some sort of firearms related training.

So, if you could take a training seminar, whether a day, a weekend, or a week, what would it be? Martial arts? Bob Ross Style Painting? Knife forging? Welding? Ballroom Dance?

I want to learn to knit!@!

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I want to learn to knit!@!

My mother-in-law started knitting in her late fifties or early sixties, as I recall. She made everything from scarves to knit stuffed animals. Many of the latter are impressively done, and cherished by my daughters and Mrs. Doc.

Archived