SASS Wire Forum

Powder Storage with Desiccant

bgavin

Q:  Is it worthwhile to  put some sort of desiccant packet, etc into a powder tub?

I have 8 pound tubs of powder that I expect will last a very long time.
These are kept indoors in a modest humidity environment (inland CA).

As these containers empty, there will be more air introduced over time.

Assuming you are planning to use used Silica Gel packets, put them in a 250 oven for a couple hours to dry them out (regenerate them) before putting in your containers.

The packets can only absorb a limited amount of moisture and if they have been sitting out for any amount of time, they have absorbed that limited amount of moisture.

And yes, they do work to capture any trace humidity in a small enclosed container.

I'm just answering in terms of do the packets work... I leave it to other more experienced pards to answer two other questions...

Are they necessary?

Are packets necessary in an average environment like inland California, and by extension, are they necessary in areas that get fog seasonally (LOL, like parts of inland California).

Can they cause problems?

If packets are used to keep powder dry, does it get so dry that static cling is an issue in reloading presses? (No, it will not explode from static, I have researched that quite thoroughly). But will extremely dry powder cause metering issues due to static cling?

The powders we use are manufactured with a specific amount of moisture in the powder.

If you dry it out, you may get erratic burning.

Just as if you leave a container open in a high humidity environment your also get erratic burning.

---------------

Open your container and pour out what you will use.

Put the cap back on tight.

When done reloading, pour the left over powder in to a separte container and close it up tight.

Use it the next time you reload the add to it as you use it up.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

The powders we use are manufactured with a specific amount of moisture in the powder.

If you dry it out, you may get erratic burning.

Just as if you leave a container open in a high humidity environment your also get erratic burning.

That is an excellent answer, thanks!

Archived