SASS Wire Forum

Contemplating mortality

They say only the good die young. You need to get busy with the dirty deeds. Just joking. I'm sure everything will come out great. Good luck. All your buddies will be here thinking about you and waiting for your return. 

This is a great topic and I wish you well Mr. Flint. 

If the unthinkable should come to pass, this letter will be your final words to them for their lifetime. Tell them you are proud of them and give specific examples if you can. I really admire the way you ....., You are so good at ......, I never get tired of telling people that you are an Eagle Scout....., etc.  We all do this when our children are young, but somehow many forget the value of praise and encouragement as our children grow older. Hopefully you say thank you to them, and tell them why you are thankful they are your children. I would enclose your favorite picture of you and each child and briefly tell them why it is so meaningful to you. This is the day I took you camping for the first time........ they won't remember many of the things that you do. 

You may or may not know this, but many government agencies do not recognize a POA. The Veteran's Administration and Social Security Administration  have their own unbending rules. They can be very challenging to deal with.

Best wishes for speedy and full recovery!

Depending on how big your family is, generalities are probably better if there is to be a letter. Otherwise be sure to give everybody equal mention!

We have five kids, all long-grown. Great, close relationships with all. We named the eldest, a daughter, as executor, because she is the eldest, and is an accountant and businessperson. The alternate, should she be unable to serve, is the 4th child, the eldest son. He's a commercial real estate guy. So, eldest child, then eldest son. 

Then stop. That's a natural order that all understand. If you name further alternates, you'll be 'ranking' the children, and you don't want to do that!

A concept to keep in mind with 'the letter'....

Archived