SASS Wire Forum

Waffenlauf

Subdeacon Joe

... I wonder even less, now, why the Swiss were never invaded ...

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

... I wonder even less, now, why the Swiss were never invaded ...

That and their Schutzenfest.

Plus a general "gun culture."

image.jpeg.5d439ff4541849cb6464e61b04fa4a78.jpegHow Switzerland Developed a Gun Culture That Works | TIME.com

Like the U.S., Switzerland Has Liberal Gun Laws - The Atlantic

Switzerland Has Bullets But No Bullet Wounds: How? – Affinity Magazine

Which led to the joke of 'My men would each fire five rounds and go home."

I found this humorous sign:
                                                                                              Achtung Schützenfest

achtung schützenfest sign road free photo

:D:lol::P  Now that's proper!

Thank you, my friend, a good laugh is a dandy way to start the day!

Never ever expected to see videos posted on the Wire in Swiss German! The places shown are very close to where I live. :)

The other link to the story of the oversea pards visiting our Schützenfest was also very interesting to read, many thanks! 

Equanimous Phil

As per Harry Lime in "The Third Man":

After all it's not that awful. You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.

59 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

The places shown are very close to where I live.

From my perspective as a native of California, and I'm sure Texicans and Alaskans will agree, everything in Confoederatio Helvetica would be very close to where you live.
Glad you enjoyed the videos.  I started with a FB memory of Albrecht Moser

Albrecht Moser is a former Swiss Soldier. He is a long distance runner and has competed in the Waffenlauf. The Waffenlauf is a 43K long race. So about the same as a marathon. Competitors are current or former military. The race must be ran wearing full uniform, marching boots, ruck that weighs no less than … Read More …

and went from there.  

10 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

From my perspective as a native of California, and I'm sure Texicans and Alaskans will agree, everything in Confoederatio Helvetica would be very close to where you live.

That's what I thought too! :D

I should have said "exactly where I live" , as it is a 10 minutes drive.

I remember that those Waffenläufe were quite a big thing when I was a kid (43 yrs old now), but I don't know if they are still held these days..? I always wondered then why they had those old carbines until later I was told that it was because of the weight (the Sturmgewehr 90 aka SIG 550 wasn't introduced and the Stgw 57 aka SIG 510 was a lot of steel to carry) 

6 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

That's what I thought too! :D

I should have said "exactly where I live" , as it is a 10 minutes drive.

I remember that those Waffenläufe were quite a big thing when I was a kid (43 yrs old now), but I don't know if they are still held these days..? I always wondered then why they had those old carbines until later I was told that it was because of the weight (the Sturmgewehr 90 aka SIG 550 wasn't introduced and the Stgw 57 aka SIG 510 was a lot of steel to carry) 

I know that there had been concern that the EU would be the death of it, but it seems to still be going, https://www.waffenlauf.ch/  although the Covid scare seems to have ruined this season  https://www.waffenlauf.ch/läufe/

Funny ain't it?

All those guns around and I don't hear of mass shootings and I wondered why?
Every one can shoot back?

My high school German is rusty:  Is the title a German pun?  Waffenlauf means gun barrel, but Laufen means run.  So, is it suppose to have a double meaning:  gun barrel and gun run?

44 minutes ago, South-Eye Ned said:

My high school German is rusty:  Is the title a German pun?  Waffenlauf means gun barrel, but Laufenn means run.  So, is it suppose to have a double meaning:  gun barrel and gun run?

I never noticed that, but you are absolutely right, it could have both meanings. I guess most people here think of "gun run" only. Waffenlauf for gun barrel isn't a common term afaik, it's usually Gewehrlauf or Pistolenlauf or just Lauf speaking of the barrel. I don't think the pun was intended when this event was created, but who knows?!

Archived