Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

National Guard pilots get distinguish flying cross


Subdeacon Joe

Recommended Posts

For rescues in California fires.

 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-ceremony-recognizing-california-army-national-guard-mcclellan-park-ca/

 

While they were on the way to the campground, the crew received word from state and local officials and headquarters that it was far too dangerous to continue the mission.  “Turn back.”  But they decided to continue anyway, knowing they might not return.  They knew that people were in danger — great danger.

As night set in, they could see almost nothing through the miles of dense smoke.  Using their night goggles and their expert navigation skill, they reached the camp.  They found the stranded families — many of whom were badly burned and injured — and they loaded them, as many as they could, onto the two helicopters.  Then they made the perilous flight back to the base.

As soon as they unloaded the passengers, they again risked their lives and flew back into the blazing fire to rescue more victims.  Their superior said, “You cannot do this.  You cannot do it again.”  They did it.

The smoke had become even more overpowering, yet they returned a third time.  After 10 grueling hours, they completed their mission, having saved the lives of an astounding 242 people.  We are proud of them.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

For rescues in California fires.

 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-ceremony-recognizing-california-army-national-guard-mcclellan-park-ca/

 

While they were on the way to the campground, the crew received word from state and local officials and headquarters that it was far too dangerous to continue the mission.  “Turn back.”  But they decided to continue anyway, knowing they might not return.  They knew that people were in danger — great danger.

As night set in, they could see almost nothing through the miles of dense smoke.  Using their night goggles and their expert navigation skill, they reached the camp.  They found the stranded families — many of whom were badly burned and injured — and they loaded them, as many as they could, onto the two helicopters.  Then they made the perilous flight back to the base.

As soon as they unloaded the passengers, they again risked their lives and flew back into the blazing fire to rescue more victims.  Their superior said, “You cannot do this.  You cannot do it again.”  They did it.

The smoke had become even more overpowering, yet they returned a third time.  After 10 grueling hours, they completed their mission, having saved the lives of an astounding 242 people.  We are proud of them.

 

 

You should be proud of them. :FlagAm:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Outstanding.
They ignored their superior. That will either get you in deep poo poo....or a medal....

or dead....with a medal. 

“Where do we get such men”

The Bridges at Toko Ri - James Michener

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Well, the President was pinning  the medal on his chest. That might temper the 

punishment some. 

Ain’t gonna be none. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Outstanding.
They ignored their superior. That will either get you in deep poo poo....or a medal....

or dead....with a medal. 

“Where do we get such men”

The Bridges at Toko Ri - James Michener

 

 

Or in deep poo poo, dead, with a medal...to encourage the others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

Or in deep poo poo, dead, with a medal...to encourage the others.

Nah. 
The dead are never in deep poo poo. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

 

Disobey orders, win the battle, get a medal, get shot for disobeying orders.

Like Paths of Glory in the Bizzaro World.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.